Am I asking for trouble if.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to get 2 saddleback clown fish. I was planning on ordering one small and one large. Will that combo be suffecient for them to figure out/ change there sex? I know they change sex based on the size of the other fish....will this work?

Oh and on a scale of 1-10.... 10 being most aggressive where would a saddleback fall?

You may run into a problem ordering them one small and one large. Even the small one may have taken on the female role. If the small clown was the largest in the tank then it may be the female for that tank. If possible try to purchase a pair.

best bet is if you are interested in seeing their sex change then get two small tank raised clowns that are still babies and havent gone through a sex change yet, thats what i did with my 75g i got to tank bred O. clowns and they do great together.

I agree w/RMPD & Jonathan. Jonathan used the "grow out" technique, it's one of the more successful way to form a bonded pair.

Clownfishes are generally aggresive to their own kind and they will chase other fishes away that come to close to their home.

only downfall that i realized afterward is that they probably wont host to an anemone since they are tank raised and i found a new lfs the other week that sells wild clowns with its host anemone.

Jonathan G. said:
only downfall that i realized afterward is that they probably wont host to an anemone since they are tank raised and i found a new lfs the other week that sells wild clowns with its host anemone.

Even tank raised will host anemone some just take time...

Jonathan G. said:

That is a common misconception about captive bred and wild caught clowns. Captive bred or wild caught clowns will host what they want when they want.

Back
Top Bottom