Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Am I asking for trouble if.........

I want to get 2 saddleback clown fish. I was planning on ordering one small and one large. Will that combo be suffecient for them to figure out/ change there sex? I know they change sex based on the size of the other fish....will this work?

Oh and on a scale of 1-10.... 10 being most aggressive where would a saddleback fall?

Old 04-05-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You may run into a problem ordering them one small and one large. Even the small one may have taken on the female role. If the small clown was the largest in the tank then it may be the female for that tank. If possible try to purchase a pair.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
best bet is if you are interested in seeing their sex change then get two small tank raised clowns that are still babies and havent gone through a sex change yet, thats what i did with my 75g i got to tank bred O. clowns and they do great together.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree w/RMPD & Jonathan. Jonathan used the "grow out" technique, it's one of the more successful way to form a bonded pair.

Clownfishes are generally aggresive to their own kind and they will chase other fishes away that come to close to their home.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
only downfall that i realized afterward is that they probably wont host to an anemone since they are tank raised and i found a new lfs the other week that sells wild clowns with its host anemone.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan G.
only downfall that i realized afterward is that they probably wont host to an anemone since they are tank raised and i found a new lfs the other week that sells wild clowns with its host anemone.
Even tank raised will host anemone some just take time...
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan G.
That is a common misconception about captive bred and wild caught clowns. Captive bred or wild caught clowns will host what they want when they want.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skin, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com