Am I cycled???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirfishmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok this in an assumption

i tested my water

amonia= NIL nadda zip zero
Nitrite= NIL nadda zip zero
Nitrate= 10ppm

ok, so if there is Nitrate present then there must of been Nitrite at one point...Am i right? and if so then is it a good assumption i am cycled?

Amonia=nitrite which creates nitrate? or am i way off because of the live rock?

thanks

doug

Well before committing to an answer...hold long did the tank cycle? It sounds like you have LR in there, which is a good thing. But, was the LR cured when it went in?
And how did you cycle the tank? dead shrimp? adding raw ammonia?

It does sound like you have the necessary bacterial colonies for a full nitrogen cycle. My only concern is how you cycled, so I can decide if you have large enough bacterial colonies to prevent a mini-cycle when you add fish/inverts/cleanup crew.

well, its been almost 3 weeks, started out with LS and then LR, but i had very little die off if none...because it came packaged well and NDA.....had some Amonia first week...but now my levels are where they are at....i noticed critters growing on the rocks as well as plants so i added every 2 days some plankton.....but nothing physically moving in the tank yet.

doug

How long has ammonia and nitrite been at 0? If its been a week or so, you could start by adding a few hermits and snails to see how they do. If that goes well, you could purchase your first fish. Don't forget to qt and take your time. :wink:

I had always learn to wait extra. I had thought my tank was cycled, then I added fish and the next day had a big ammonia and nitrite spike. So I would always wait 2-3 weeks to make sure! Btw, quarry, that is a good idea, add snails and hermits and keep them for a week and if all does well add one fish at a time.

I'd say you are cycled, but I'd still play it cautious by getting some snails and hermit crabs, see how they do for a week or two. During that time you could be QT'ing your first fish.

Back
Top Bottom