Am i doing something wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a problem with these smalle snail reproducing and ammonia and alk problems. i did a water change and my alk and ammonia are still borderline high.
And also. I was convinced to purchase a dKH buffer. My calcium is never low. are theere any other advantages to dosing with this buffer?

The buffer increases your alk. If your alk is high then you don't need the buffer. Any nh3 can be harmful, there is no "borderline" level.

Have you had anything die off in the tank? Did you make any changes in your sump?

tecwzrd said:
Have you had anything die off in the tank? Did you make any changes in your sump?

Yes. An Alveopra, Anchor, and Candy cane. =(

My Alk and Ammonia are high. everyone tells me to do a water change. I have already done that and it has not dropped.

I'm kinda lost, my tank has never gone through this before.

Are you seeing any nitrite? If the ammonia is remaining your bacteria have died off and you will need to wait for you tank to cycle again.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

Yes my tap water has a bit of ammonia in it. I now do water changes with distilled water. Yes Mike, my tank is cycling all over again. it surprised me. I didnt think that would happen.

And someone told me that those tiny little hard white specs everywere are actually a type of worm? I dunno. I never seen that before but they were on everything...

I'd be curious to know what snails those are as I have a lot of little snail in my tank that I did not buy. I'll try and get a pic of them to show...Id like to know if these are ones you are talking about....Sorry Ace...the others here have better knowledge then I....

Those white speck could be a lot of things, from tiny feather dusters to pods....It's hard to tell with out any pics.

I will also try to post a pic.

Since my last big problem i have already acquired a new anchor coral. and it is doing fine for the last week.

I hope these white specs dont try to take over my tank again.
Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom