Am I fully stocked? Any suggestions for new tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourmyclowns

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 75G with two clownfish, one blue/yellow anges and one small firefish. I have been reading and reading and so far I'm getting the idea that I don't have tankspace for any more fish. I'm guessing the clowns may be 6 inches someday, Angel 4-6 inches and firefish is 4 inches long. Is it 2 inches per ten gallons? I was hoping to add a pretty tang but not if it's going to be overcrowded!

The more fish per gallon the more diligent you have to be on water quality but 1 inch per 3 gallons is a common recommendation

If you have enough rock and biological filtration or may be able to add something else.

I am about to go buy another clown for my 10 gallon. There will be 2 clowns in it and thats all.

They are percs..which tend to stay pretty small.

I would think if you stayed with a tang that did not get large you would be ok as long as you are very concientious about water changes. The yellow tang, scopas tang, kole tang come to mind as recommendations.

We got a yellow tang. He's really bright and beautiful and seems to be getting along well in the tank. Our clowns aren't sure about him yet and the firefish did a disappearing act that involved a few high speed "loop-de-loops" that were hilarious! He wanted to hide in the clowns' conch and was trying to sneak in and hide without them seeing him but they shooed him out anyways. He's hiding in the rock somewhere.

No, I did not quarantine him. The previous owner of my tank recommended this dealer and felt that anything I got from them should be okay without a quarantine. I'm curious though HOW I could have gone about quarantining him? Can he be in a separate container with some of the tankwater added and an airstone or do I have to purchase something fancy to do it? I'm still learning......

Why, oh why didn't I quarantine??!!!!!!!!

"revtree" you were right to inquire if I quarantined him. As of now my new yellow tang and my (old?) blue/yellow angel are back at the lfs being quarantined! Although he looks wonderfully healthy - two days ago I noticed the tang rubbing himself on everything, then found the white spots and possibly two white spots on my angel. Might be ich or ick? Possibly the stress brought it on from putting him right in rather than in a qt. There needs to be a required 7 day waiting period on all fish purchases just to keep impulsive buyers like me under control!

I hope some good can come to others by sharing my BIG mistake in this forum!

Back
Top Bottom