Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome! I would add some straight ammonia (aim for 4 ppm) and test again tomorrow to be sure.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Crip, i was referring to hang on back filters. like a quietflow 20 or something similar. you cant really use a hob to qt a fish when its attached to the main tank lmao ..if the fish is sick, any disease/parasite/infection will just spread right into the dt, thus completely negating the idea of a qt tank.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
Crip, i was referring to hang on back filters. like a quietflow 20 or something similar. you cant really use a hob to qt a fish when its attached to the main tank lmao ..if the fish is sick, any disease/parasite/infection will just spread right into the dt, thus completely negating the idea of a qt tank.
Thank you!I was confused...I still have alot to learn.Thank you for clarifying.I wasn't planning on a hob for my dt.I was just going to use a protein skimmer and the lr as my biological filter.is this possible?what I have read about qt and they all recommend as you have to have some type of filter media seeded by the dt and then put it into the qt.Since the qt is meant as temporary i believe I may have a solution.I don't like the idea of a bucket with heater an air pump and a sponge filter(I have read this as a suggestion). A 10g will not take up much rm.I was just apprehensive at first because of my experience with a 10g has not been good.Now I know as long as I test daily and do wc daily,as needed, i will be ok.
I was not able to add more ammo today but i plan to do that tomorrow.hopefully it will prove to be cycled.
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

its all good. it all comes in time (atleast that's what everyone says lol) you got it straightened out in terms of using a hob and seeding its filter media in the dt. just don't use carbon, because it absorbs chemicals...so if you treat the qt and theres carbon in there...itll suck up the chems. as for the bucket, you could do that, however as a warning, if you have cats or dogs (as I do) they tend to get curious and knock over buckets. so id suggest an actual tank, heck if the fish is small enough a 5g would wrk. they are a safer bet as they cant be tipped over.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
its all good. it all comes in time (atleast that's what everyone says lol) you got it straightened out in terms of using a hob and seeding its filter media in the dt. just don't use carbon, because it absorbs chemicals...so if you treat the qt and theres carbon in there...itll suck up the chems. as for the bucket, you could do that, however as a warning, if you have cats or dogs (as I do) they tend to get curious and knock over buckets. so id suggest an actual tank, heck if the fish is small enough a 5g would wrk. they are a safer bet as they cant be tipped over.
Would it be to much to introduce 3 fish at a time?By to much i mean if I use a 5 gallon tank would it be to small for three fish?I say three because my stock plan is 6 blue/green Chromis,2 purple firefish and 1 Lawn Mower Blenny and my thought was introducing them 3 at a time since the Chromis and the Purple fire fish are shoaling fish.Will it be to much for the fish and the tank even if I go with a 10 gallon tank or should I just introduce them one at a time to make it easier on me and the fish?
Thanks again for all your suggestions!I am getting really excited.I still have 10 ppm trate,no ammonia or trites and i just added 4ppm of Ammonia.I will test tomorrow and see if my levels go down or not.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

IMO 3 fish at once in a 5g, qt or not, is too much. id also be careful because if you qt 3 chromis first, add them to the tank, then qt other fish, then add them, the chromis might beat them up. although chromis are relatively peaceful, they are still part of the damselfish family. so care should be taken
Old 11-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
IMO 3 fish at once in a 5g, qt or not, is too much. id also be careful because if you qt 3 chromis first, add them to the tank, then qt other fish, then add them, the chromis might beat them up. although chromis are relatively peaceful, they are still part of the damselfish family. so care should be taken
Should I just add the other fish first and then the chromis?After adding the purple fire fish pair just add fish one at a time?
I saw someone use a Tupperware container as a quarantine tank i might do that.Then it can just be put out of the way on the floor and I would still have a bucket for mixing saltwater.Are air stones necessary for for a qt?I have the air pump I was using on my ten gallon with the under gravel filter but w/o the under gravel filter what do i hook it up to?I also still have the heater I used.I read an article authored by a a saltwater aquarist that keeps his salinity at a 1.016 and then when the fish i looking well and eating well he slowly raises the salinity instead of adding meds to the qt.How do you quarantine new fish?
Old 11-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

personally, I would qt a new fish at levels as close to your dt as possible. don't do any meds or anything, if at some point you see an illness creep up, diagnose and treat accordingly. the whole point of qting a new fish is to see if the fish has any diseases, if qting properly (full 3-4 week qt) youll see about 99% of diseases in that timeframe, so why subject a fish to chemicals or any changes in water when you don't know if its sick?? an air stone inst necessary for qt. just a hob filter with filter floss in it, a few pieces of pvc piping for the fish to hide in and a heater...that's it. if it were me, id do the 2 firefish first, then the chromis, wait 6 months or so, then the lawnmower blenny. lawnmowers are up there with mandarins in terms of hard(er) to keep. they don't always take well to prepared foods.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:33 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
personally, I would qt a new fish at levels as close to your dt as possible. don't do any meds or anything, if at some point you see an illness creep up, diagnose and treat accordingly. the whole point of qting a new fish is to see if the fish has any diseases, if qting properly (full 3-4 week qt) youll see about 99% of diseases in that timeframe, so why subject a fish to chemicals or any changes in water when you don't know if its sick?? an air stone inst necessary for qt. just a hob filter with filter floss in it, a few pieces of pvc piping for the fish to hide in and a heater...that's it. if it were me, id do the 2 firefish first, then the chromis, wait 6 months or so, then the lawnmower blenny. lawnmowers are up there with mandarins in terms of hard(er) to keep. they don't always take well to prepared foods.
Okay.I have another question what does the filter floss look like?when I did a search i got pictures of filter socks...
Would you do the Chromis one at a time?HUMA-Huma ur info has been great!
Old 11-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

not cycled

Well,I followed what was suggested and added 4ppm of my ammonia and today I have A-.5,trite=.5 and trates-20 ppm...I guess if I haveen't learned patience by the the time my tank is cycled there is no hope for me ever having any patience,lol.On the bright side, it is following my original plan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com