Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not a fan of using fish to cycle though. It subjects them to high levels of ammonia and nitrites during the spikes and that does nothing good to them. Many years ago, that was kind of a standard practice, but it is pointless now , IMO.

I do think the 4 ppm ammonia thing seems a bit mystical though. Seems like it would be totally different for a 20g versus a 120g versus a 240g. If the BB is present and working, adding two fish to a small tank just has to be different than adding the same two to a big tank.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The 4ppm is just an arbitrary number. The goal is to overload the aquarium with bacteria and the 4ppm is more than a correctly stocked tank could come close to producing. It's really just an overkill safety net that works well. Plus, is there really any reason not to do the 4ppm?

Old 11-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi, hope you don't mind if I jump in as I'm new to this hobby too. My tank cycled after 4 weeks ( I believe ) . I have cuc 3 hermits and 3 snails. Then I added 2 clowns. Let's say that I had not fully cycled. With all this in my 149l tank including 50lbs live rock and live sand. All my tests are good. A is 0 trites 0 and trates are between 5-10. Trates have been higher at around 40-50ppm. If I add more fish etc... Am I likely to get a ammonia spike or would my rock handle the bio load ?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The 4ppm is just an arbitrary number. The goal is to overload the aquarium with bacteria and the 4ppm is more than a correctly stocked tank could come close to producing. It's really just an overkill safety net that works well. Plus, is there really any reason not to do the 4ppm?
There is probably not a clear cut reason not to, but I'm not sure I would not add a fish or two if my tank was taking over 24 hours to process the 4 ppm (as long as it is going down a reasonable amount within 24 hrs ).
Old 11-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willba200 View Post
If I add more fish etc... Am I likely to get a ammonia spike or would my rock handle the bio load ?
I think you are fine as long as you are not adding new fish too quickly after one another. I've always gone 1-2 fish every 3-4 weeks, but the number of fish is dictated by the size of the fish. Probably one large/medium or two small per time and if I do a larger fish , I would probably wait the. 4 weeks.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice one. That's what I'm doing . Thanks
Old 11-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Made a decision

I am going to get the two purple firefish(if i can get a mated pair) just Christmas time.That gives me about 2 mo to get the rest of my equipment and do a proper quarantine.
My qt will have a 50 watt heater,Aqueon 06081 QuietFlow 20 Power Filter, 125GPH, pbc pipe for hiding/sleeping,thermometer, Incandescent lighting and hood and maybe an ammonia monitor.
Thanks everyone for your input
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

Test results today: A-.50 ppm,Trites-.5 Trates-40ppm
Should I continue to add the 4ppm of ammonia once in awhile or just call it good?my bioload will increase that is obvious since I am planning to stock it with 9 fish.I plan on stocking slowly about 4 weeks between when I introduce them to my dt. I was thinking once I introduce the firefish to the dt I would get the Chromis. The thing I am worried about is 6 fish in a 10g that would be asking for casualties wouldn't it?So what would be a good course of action?
Old 11-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Id wait. You are still showing signs of both amm and trites
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

only when I add the ammonia and unless I add the 4ppm it disappears in 24hrs. I don't plan on adding that soon.It will probable be middle of December I will set up qt and watch it for a week before adding the fish.I plan to get the filter when I get paid and I will stick the floss in the dt for a week and then set up the qt.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com