Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

np!! good luck!

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Freak

12-4-13 readings and question about netting

Ammo-.5
trites-5
Trates-80
PH-7.8
Not adding ammo.don't want to harm BB.
I was reading a post about glass tops and now i have question.Will hoods trap the heat and the oxygen just like the glass tops?I noticed this morning(Well I have noticed it before but didn't think much about.),that the surface water was pretty warm but as i had the lid open while testing params that it cooled quickly.I found this: Tenax 3 ft. x 15 ft. Black Hardware Net-751397 at The Home Depot
would this work or are the holes to big?i was looking at it anyway because on Callen's thread they were talking about jumpers and carpet surfing and netting was the solution but I was just planning on putting it under my hood not using it by its self because I needed a place for the lights.Any thoughts?

Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Crip: I took a look at the black net and it looks good. I couldn't tell from the description what size the holes are. Just know that the egg crate holes are 1/2 inch square and my gobies jumped through that. Maybe they just had good aim, or they were just persistent..who knows?!

I think the net would be fine with the hood..but wouldn't the hood keep everyone inside without the net? Jumpers could still catch some air...but the walls of the hood would keep them contained?

As to temp regulation I would venture to say that any completely closed system, especially one with the lights contained inside (like a hood) would trap heat in and reduce the air flow. You will probably have to account for that when setting the temp on your heater. I would also think air flow would be better with a hood than with a glass top, given there is more space above the tank. I dont have a hood, but dont they have an open area at the top back? IF so, that would allow circulation of fresh air. I would think that combined with powerheads aimed at the surface of the water would help with the oxygenization.

@Mac: Thanks for the additional information on ammonia, bacteria, in QT and DT..I dont want to put bad info out there and always want to help others and learn as I go. I'm already seeding my next sponge filter in my sump so I can get ready for my next round of fish!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Freak

12-6-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor View Post
Your qt wasn't cycled because you used old tank water and a new sponge filter. I know, I know, someone told you that's how to do an instant cycle, but it's backwards. The nitrifying bacteria that colonize our tanks for biological filtration are strictly surface adhering species. They live on the rocks, on the grains of sand, stuck to the side of the tank walls, but not free floating in the water. By using old tank water, you transferred almost zero ammonia eating bacteria.
For the instant cycle to work, you can use brand new saltwater, but you must use a biological medium with high surface area (sponge, filter floss, live rock) that has already been in a cycled tank. But like Callen said, always test first!

As for an ammonia source in the empty display tank... Yes and no. If the tank will be lying fallow (fishless) for upwards of six months, then the bacteria will need sustenance. However, in the short term (like a month for quarantine) they will be just fine. In fact, they are capable of lying completely dormant and almost inert for several weeks. Once you've built a bacterial colony capable of going from 4 ppm ammonia to zero in 24 hours, the time spent quarantining new fish should not harm the cycle. If you wish to test this, try the ammonia dosing after two weeks without any. The bacteria will wake up and convert it.
But like Callen said, if a tank is lying fallow long enough to kill ich, it will need food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callen View Post
Hey Crip: I took a look at the black net and it looks good. I couldn't tell from the description what size the holes are. Just know that the egg crate holes are 1/2 inch square and my gobies jumped through that. Maybe they just had good aim, or they were just persistent..who knows?!

I think the net would be fine with the hood..but wouldn't the hood keep everyone inside without the net? Jumpers could still catch some air...but the walls of the hood would keep them contained?

As to temp regulation I would venture to say that any completely closed system, especially one with the lights contained inside (like a hood) would trap heat in and reduce the air flow. You will probably have to account for that when setting the temp on your heater. I would also think air flow would be better with a hood than with a glass top, given there is more space above the tank. I dont have a hood, but dont they have an open area at the top back? IF so, that would allow circulation of fresh air. I would think that combined with powerheads aimed at the surface of the water would help with the oxygenization.

@Mac: Thanks for the additional information on ammonia, bacteria, in QT and DT..I dont want to put bad info out there and always want to help others and learn as I go. I'm already seeding my next sponge filter in my sump so I can get ready for my next round of fish!
Thanks Mac and Callen!That puts my mind at ease.
I tested today and Ammo and Trites were both 0 and Trates were between 80-160ppm. I couldn't test yesterday was not home so because I don't know what my reading were I added 109 drops again today.We will see what happens.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Freak

sounds like you're there You should know before the weekend is over!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Freak

12-7-13

Ammo-.5
Trite-5
Trate-160
Hopefully I didn't shock the BB...Its a good thing I am doing the fishless cycle.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Freak

12-11-13

Ammo-0
trite-0
ph 8.8
Added Coralline plates on Mon. and 54 drops of ammonia.I am sure the rise in ph in due to adding 4 plates of coralline. My question is will the Ph go down on its own?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

it should stabilize somewhere. now where it stabilizes at is another story lol
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Freak

12/12/13-question about fish food

Ammo-0
trite-0
Added 29 drops of ammo
I looked at fish food yesterday and I was curious what do you feed your fish?i found San Francisco Bay Frozen Saltwater Multi-Pack and Cyclops and Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Frozen Food.What are some good brands?What do you look for in a good fish food?
Old 12-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

12/13/13

Ammo-0
Trite-0
A little at a time.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com