AM I on the right track?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

possolutions

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been up for 25 days. I just want to know if my readings are normal.

7/17/08 Ammonia .25 ppm
7/17/08 Nitrite 0 ppm
7/17/08 Nitrate 0 ppm
7/17/08 pH 8.2

7/29/08 Ammonia 2.0 ppm
7/29/08 Nitrite 0 ppm
7/29/08 Nitrate 0 ppm
7/29/08 pH 8.3

8/4/08 Ammonia 4.0 ppm
8/4/08 Nitrite .25 ppm
8/4/08 Nitrate 0 ppm
8/4/08 pH 8.3

Do these numbers look normal? Just want to make sure we are on the right track.

TIA

Water temp = 81F (nothing inside yet except LR and sand)

Test Kit = Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit

Looks like a good cycle to me. Before long the ammonia will start to go down and nitrites up and then they will go down. When ammonia and nitrites are at 0 then do a 33% PWC and you should be ready for your first fish in a week or two after that.

Wow, you should keep that for future newcomers, it shows an excellent cycle in progress!

Perfect thanks guys. How long do you think it will take for it to be ready? like 3 more weeks? Should I remove the shrimp that I out in to start the cycle?

Since you are starting to see nitrItes you can, if you can keep it from falling apart. I would wait till I saw a little more nitrItes. When I cycled my tank, I just left them in.

This is a great post... Thanks So i will begin my cycle and i was going to be asking ? about my cycle levels...:D

Yes remove the shrimp. Dont add fish untill ammonia and nitrite are zero. 4 to 6 weeks usually enough time.
After cycle is over i would add a few CUC then wait a week or two then add a fish then wait and add more cuc and a fish or coral.

Use this time to learn the basics , like why do i cycle or do i have enough water movement or what do my LR and LS actually do.

Back
Top Bottom