Am I ready !!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's my test from this morning. Is everything good ? The nitrates are about 20ppm. I have heard so many things about water changes. Should I do one before adding anything ? Plan on getting a clean up crew first. Some people say 20ppm is nothing in a FOWLR tank. Others say as close to zero as possible...What do you think ? Also, if you think the tank is good, do I still have to wait a few days or can I add my crew right away....

Attachments

• test 001.jpg
    test 001.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 100
The test look good :)
Except for the high nitrates .
I have read 20ppm is ok for fish only but closer to 0 is advisable .
Have you done a water change since you finished the cycle ?
It takes a few partial water changes to bring the nitrates down .
I was recommended to do a large water change 50%
Then keep a eye on nitrates .
There was somewhere on here I read how much water you have to change to bring the nitrates down by 10ppm
A new tank parameters will jump but become more stable as it matures .
Be patient .

No water change so far....So I guess getting a clean up crew today would not be good idea ? If I did a water change today, could I add my crew right away or have to wait...

No water change so far....So I guess getting a clean up crew today would not be good idea ? If I did a water change today, could I add my crew right away or have to wait...

I think you would be safe .
Keep in mind if you don't have a ammonia source you will end up not being able to maintain a sufficient level of beneficial bacteria and start over .
I would add your CUC.

Could you describe your set up ?
Tank , filtration , lights ,
Planned stocking wish , ect

Here's my test from this morning. Is everything good ? The nitrates are about 20ppm. I have heard so many things about water changes. Should I do one before adding anything ? Plan on getting a clean up crew first. Some people say 20ppm is nothing in a FOWLR tank. Others say as close to zero as possible...What do you think ? Also, if you think the tank is good, do I still have to wait a few days or can I add my crew right away....

20pmm is ok for a FOWLR but as rmckoy said, the lower the better

It's a 20 gallon tall. Live sand, dried cured base rock, Aqueon 30 hob filter with a fluval surface skimmer hooked up to it. By the way, the surface skimmer works great. I had a protein slick on the surface. It was gone in 10 minutes with this skimmer never to return. Also have a Aquatic life 115 skimmer and 2 Hydor Koralia power heads. For now, I'm using a Beamswork LED light. I would like to get a pair of clowns and not sure what else because of my tank size.

Attachments

• tank 010.jpg
    tank 010.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 94
Looks good so far .
As for stocking you are very limited cause of the size .
Keep a very close eye on parameters ,
Being a small tank it's normal to jump in new tanks but with evaporation the salt concentration is more noticeable and more likely to get to very high levels if you don't top off with fresh water .
Maintain a small tank is a lot more work but it can be done

It's a 20 gallon tall. Live sand, dried cured base rock, Aqueon 30 hob filter with a fluval surface skimmer hooked up to it. By the way, the surface skimmer works great. I had a protein slick on the surface. It was gone in 10 minutes with this skimmer never to return. Also have a Aquatic life 115 skimmer and 2 Hydor Koralia power heads. For now, I'm using a Beamswork LED light. I would like to get a pair of clowns and not sure what else because of my tank size.

Sorry to get off topic but for stock fish how about-
Pair of ocellaris clowns (nemo)
1 fire fish
1 six line wrasse
And then some inverts of your choice.

I found the conversation I had the beginning of the year about lowering nitrates
This was a lengthily thread starting on using the vodka method to reduce nitrates .
This was a guide line of how much water to change and how much it will Lower nitrates .
3 50% water changes or a massive 100% water change will keep the beneficial bacteria but clean water with 0 nitrates .

image-2885100178.jpg

Clowns anemone and a diamond sand sifting goby were my first .
Crabs and shrimp were soon to follow .

I was talking about a fire fish goby, who will eat prepared and frozen foods. I would not do a sand sifter like the diamond watchman because if you wait a few months and then get one he will have a more likley chance of survival because there will be algea and organisms in the sand but in a new tank it will starve.

I found the conversation I had the beginning of the year about lowering nitrates
This was a lengthily thread starting on using the vodka method to reduce nitrates .
This was a guide line of how much water to change and how much it will Lower nitrates .
3 50% water changes or a massive 100% water change will keep the beneficial bacteria but clean water with 0 nitrates .

Never do a 100% wc. It will take put all your copepods and other critters and alot of you bb.

Never do a 100% wc. It will take put all your copepods and other critters and alot of you bb.

The water column is fairly devoid of life. There will be some plankton in the water but the vast majority of everything will be found in the substrate and rocks.

That's being said, I wouldn't do a 100% water change due to the shock to your system but a 50% change will drop you down to 10ppm nitrates. Have you thought about a planted fowlr tank? That will help with nitrates as well.

Lastly, I agree about the sand sifting goby that you shouodnt get one for your tank. But unless you're running a refugium or protein skimmer I wouldn't stock more than 2 clowns and 1 other small fish for a 20g.

Back
Top Bottom