Am I ready to cycle what to do now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jr5018

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok have a 55 gal DSB (playsand) RO water, Good levels of salt. What do i do now? this is already set up and running, with no rock only sand should i wait to get the rock and other stuff in the tank to cycle it or not i am going to put base rock in it no live rock. Just need to know what to do now that i have gone this far and thankyou in advance for your help.

I am sorry i am an idiot but i can start the cycle without live sand or anything can i just add LS later on in the game or what?

No one's born into the hobby knowing everything :wink:

jr5018 said:
but i can start the cycle without live sand or anything
You could actually start cycling the tank with just water, heater and a powerhead. The only drawback is the lack of available surface areas for nitrifying bacteria to colonize. That is where your base rock and sand come in. Neither need be live from the start. Anything (preferabley raw seafood low in fattyacids) placed in the tank that rots creates ammonia and begins the process. The ammonia feeds nitrosomonas (bacteria) that in turn convert the ammonia to nitrite which is fed on by nitrobacters. Then that set of bacteria convert the nitrite into nitrate. That is the extent of nitrification and the cycle. Denitrification on the otherhand requires anaerobic or (my preference) anoxic areas of the tank where facaltative bacteria can convert the nitrates into the less harmful gas, nitrogen. Not all nitrate reducing bacteria expell wastes in the same manner but that's for a different topic.

can i just add LS later on in the game or what?
If you add the LS later, only add a ¼-½" at a time to allow the "bugs" and aerobic bacteria a chance to catch up. Every few days should be good. FWIW, unless you buy LS that has actual bugs in it, don't waste your money. The bagged wet sand you can get at the LFS will do nothing for you in the long or short term. Only spend money on sand from a seasoned tank.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom