Am I really ready to start adding critters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well for the last couple of days Ive been devoting my time setting up my pumps,setting the live rock just right,adding water because of evaporation and I forgot to get a good test kit because the one I have is the Mardel 5 in 1 test strips ( I know I have to get a better one) any way I wanted to see what the ph was and to my surprise Nitrites were 0 and the Nitrates are about 20ppm. If so I need to do my first water change and then Im ready right??? Did I miss the Ammonia and Nitrite spike?

Tank has been running for three weeks with 80 to 90 pounds of uncured liverock.

It's possible you missed the ammonia spike with all that live rock you have. I'd have your tests double checked with the lfs (since you don't have another kit) and if there is not ammonia or nitrites, do you water change and yes, you can begin to add some critters. :D

I didn't have a spike either. I waited 2 weeks before adding anything and everything is well. You could start off with some inverts. Snails and hermits are what I went for. They seem like a good starting point. Good luck! :D

I think you could add some snails and crabs, but it might be prudent to wait to see if your ammonia creeps back up. Good luck!

KG

KG said:
I think you could add some snails and crabs, but it might be prudent to wait to see if your ammonia creeps back up. Good luck!

KG

Im going to wait until the weekend,I took some water to my lfs and he said quote" I dont see any thing going on with the Nitrates,Nitrites or Ammonia but your PH is 8.3 I think your ready for some HARDY fish"... I said no thank you I will wait until Saturday to see what happens... I hate pushy people I guess that comes from my car saleman days...

I agree, good going reefbound. Kudos to you for double checking and having the patience to hold off even with a pushy salesperson. Now the fun starts, picking out your stock. Psst, if you don't have one yet, now would be a good time to invest in a QT tank. :wink:

Fluff said:
Psst, if you don't have one yet, now would be a good time to invest in a QT tank. :wink:

pssst, its already in the works....shhh.... just have to get the tank.

And thanks for the thumbs up all, Ive waited 8 long years to do this I think I can wait a lil' longer... Wife said she would like me to wait until all of our cichlids went to the big rift lake in the sky... Man can those fish live long when you take of them... :lol: but now Im so close to adding our first fish I dont want to kill it in an hour because the tank wasnt ready.

as for myvfish stock... Well to please my two little ones there has to be,well you guessed it Nemo...
for me in no particular order;
1.Ocellaris clownfish
2.Exquisite wrasse
3.Royal Gamma Blasset
4.And the very last fish to come into the tank AFTER the refuge/pod factory is producing...
my all time favorite a Green Mandarin...

I know I a long way away from having a Green Mandrin, But when the time comes will 80 to 90 pounds of live rock and maybe an in the tank refuge be enough to support one? Iwas looking at adding one of these to the inside side of the tank because Im all out of room on the back of the tank.

Where in PA are you? I live near Scranton.
When your ready to try some hardy, impossible to kill, and spreads like weeds coral, I have a ton of anthelia and can send some your way. :)

cccapt said:
Where in PA are you? I live near Scranton.
When your ready to try some hardy, impossible to kill, and spreads like weeds coral, I have a ton of anthelia and can send some your way. :)

I live in Kingston... If you want to give up some let me know...

I'm in Nanticoke. Let me know when your ready and I can meet you somewhere 1/2 way (maybe in Plymouth) and give you some.

Back
Top Bottom