Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-20-2004, 11:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to Spiderman
Amateur Needs Advice

Hi guys!

I have a 25 gallon SW tank that's 2 months old. It has 2 small clowns, a small royal gramma, and a juvenile Banggai cardinal. I also have 3 snails, 2 hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp. I change the water 10% each week, and all water tests are good. They're all copacetic and everything's perfect. I love it!

My question is: Would it be possible to add just one more fish - a small six-line wrasse - after about a month? My fiancee and I plan to get a 75g tank in a year's time and will move 'em all there. Is the system overstocked? Some experts I asked said that it's totally ok to add the wrasse - assuming they all get along, don't overfeed, and do regular maintenance, I won't have problems.

I get conflicting opinions in terms of fish per gallon. Some say 5 gallons per inch of fish. Michael Paletta's book suggests a loose guideline of 2 gallons per inch of fish. Ideally, the more gallons per fish the better, but I think 5 fish that won't grow more than 2.5" - 3" each in a 25 gallon tank could be reasonable.

Advice, please.

Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 20g with a simular deal and i know im way over what i should be wich makes me stress and get a little crazy with maitnence. at least untill the new tank is ready to move half them into. so i would not recomend it cause i know the deal and even if the wrasse is cool dont do it

i have crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
First off...WELCOME TO AA!!!
You found the best aquarium advice forum on the internet. I would not add any more fish until you complete the up-grade. Five fish in a 25 gal. would be a bit tight. Good luck...Lando
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Generally Royal Gramma's and six-line wrasse's will not get along, especially in a small tank. You may want to try when putting together the 75g if you add them simultaneously and have alot of rockwork.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Phases99 is correct IMHO. I have a gramma and he is pretty territorial. Thats a pretty small space for 2 fish who are likely to go at it any way. Placing them in the new tank together will help work out the territorial issues. If not, just do what I did, flush the gramma......Ok, jk, but he is a pain in the arse to his neighbors some times, even in my 75G. Check out my pics, you can sorta get the idea.
To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via AIM to kjf1705
sixline wrasse and a pink pseudochromis

I have a 54g corner tank with loads of LR and caves I have an established fullgrown pink pseudochromis. I am about to add a sixline wrasse to help eat mucus off my maxima clams. Will this work or will the pseudochromis harass him too much?
kjf1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I would wait. Patience is the best way to go.

I have a 37 gallon tank which will soon have 5 small fish in it, and thats considered overstocking.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a six line and a Royal Gramma together in my 72gallon
I added them both at the same time. I have lots of rock work and the 2 never bothered eachother.
72Gallon Bow Tank | LS/80lbs LR.com Keys LR 20Lbs Base Rock | fluval404 | Remora Skimmer | Red Sea Pro Wave Maker | 4 Maxi Jets 2/1200 2/900 PH | PinPoint PH Monitor | ARTICA 1/10 HP Chiller

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:50 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
the key to that success Diablo, is the co-introduction to the tank and plenty of room and rock for them to "have their own space"
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The BIGGEST MISTAKE is adding "just one more fish" that's how I crashed my system. Just get a bigger tank, okay.

Have fun, if you really want, replace your fish, or add corals (w/better lighting). That's why I joined AA so I could learn how to not totally up.

seafan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com