Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2004, 08:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Fresh rock will typically take 4-6 weeks to properly cure. Although the rock you purchased may be fully or partially cured, the tank will still take a few weeks to cycle. Keep tabs on ammonia and nitrite daily to monitor the progress.
this stands true, even though I used water from my established tank to fill the 12 gal qt?

Old 04-28-2004, 08:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Keep tabs on ammonia and nitrite daily to monitor the progress.

Cheers
Steve
I do testing, and its the same everyday. I test my QT and display everyday. I am using a buffer in both to raise the PH. Could this be a reason for the spike? So what do i do if the ammonia does not go down? PLEASE help, i have had my tank for 4 months now. its a 65 gal

Old 04-28-2004, 11:26 AM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdude
Quote:
Fresh rock will typically take 4-6 weeks to properly cure. Although the rock you purchased may be fully or partially cured, the tank will still take a few weeks to cycle. Keep tabs on ammonia and nitrite daily to monitor the progress.
this stands true, even though I used water from my established tank to fill the 12 gal qt?
The water from the main tank does not hold any beneficial bacteria that will help reduce the chances of a cycle when transfered to the QT. Only hard surface materials will transfer bacteria. Since the main tank has ammonia present, there is a possibility it does not have enough surface area or the LR (if?) you added is contributing to it.

What's in the 65 gal right now?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-28-2004, 11:32 AM   #14
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdude
Quote:
Keep tabs on ammonia and nitrite daily to monitor the progress.

Cheers
Steve
I do testing, and its the same everyday. I test my QT and display everyday. I am using a buffer in both to raise the PH. Could this be a reason for the spike? So what do i do if the ammonia does not go down? PLEASE help, i have had my tank for 4 months now. its a 65 gal
If there are no live animals in either tank, just let them run until they cycle properly and no longer show traces of NH3 or NO2. If either tank has any animals, you need to keep up with the water changes (sometimes daily) to keep the ammonia in check.

A buffer will not contribute to ammonia unless you are either spiking the pH/alk severly causing fauna die off. Be sure that prior to each addition of buffer you test both to see where they are and determine the proper dosage if any. I would suggest that you rely more on the water changes at this point to correct the chem. Low pH is typically from low GPH and/or covered tanks. Depending on how much LR was added, it will also play havock with the pH.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com