Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ammonia

My ammonia spiked to .25 in my display tank, and in my QT tank it spiked to .50. What do i do? I did a water change in my display tank on sunday. my lfs told me to put a peice of lr in my QT to help the ammonia.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:53 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
What kind of biofiltration are you using?
Overfeeding?
Anything die?

Old 04-27-2004, 09:59 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Water changes are in order in the QT. If you add LR to the QT, it may bring the ammonia down, if the LR is cured, but that LR is there to stay

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

DISPLAY TANK: i have lr and a wet dry filter
i am not feeding as of right now, and nothing dies in the display tank

QT TANK: i have lr and biowheel filtration
no food, and a had a tang that died in there, it is possible that when he dies he let everything out.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Water changes are in order in the QT. If you add LR to the QT, it may bring the ammonia down, if the LR is cured, but that LR is there to stay
SO YOU ARE saying to leave the lr in and also do a water change in the qt? 10% change? And i should let the display take its course? If i change the water in the qt wont it have less bacteria, or stuff it needs in it, since there are no fish currently in it? (i filled it with water from my main tank) I plan on gitting some on thurs if the water condition in the QT is correct.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

you need to bring the ammonia down, I suspect the LR wasn't cured. If you do not have any fish in it, you can do some small water changes while the LR cures and wait to add any fish until the tank cycles.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdude
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
SO YOU ARE saying to leave the lr in and also do a water change in the qt? 10% change? And i should let the display take its course? If i change the water in the qt wont it have less bacteria, or stuff it needs in it, since there are no fish currently in it? (i filled it with water from my main tank)
What RR means is once the rock is used in the QT it must stay there permanently. You cannot use it for anything else in the future. Personally I would not suggest it. If you ever need to use copper or other meds, the rock will either absorb the meds making them less effective or it will need to be removed during treatment inwhich the needed bacteria goes with it. Water in itself does not hold the bacteria so there is no worry there. The water changes actually help reduce the nitrogenous waste materials that feed the bacteria. What you need is more surface area's for the bacteria to colonize. Any inert plastic will work well. PVC pipe is usually prefered. It provides the necessary surface area's while at the same time giving the fish someplace to hide a feel secure.

With the display tank, if you used uncured LR (or there are any animals at all) I would continue with the water changes to keep the ammonia at a minimum. If it's just precured or base rock with no added life, I would let it run it's course. Once the QT is ready and the first fish goes through the process (4 weeks) the main tank should be more than ready.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

how long would a 12 GAL take to cycle? I just put the LR in the tank last night. I was already cured from the holding tank in the lfs.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
steve-s

I type too slow ... LOL :P

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-27-2004, 04:59 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdude
how long would a 12 GAL take to cycle? I just put the LR in the tank last night. I was already cured from the holding tank in the lfs.
Depends on how long the LFS had it curing for. Fresh rock will typically take 4-6 weeks to properly cure. Although the rock you purchased may be fully or partially cured, the tank will still take a few weeks to cycle. Keep tabs on ammonia and nitrite daily to monitor the progress.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com