Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 60 gallon tank that I'm making into my reef tank I set the tank up and cycled it before I introduced anything to it. After the cycle I bought to zoa frags and put them in. I put a small ammount of calcium in the tank and ended up with a large amount of hair algea. So I purchased a clean up crew a skunk shrimp a different shrimp for eating aiptasia 2 crabs 3 turbo snails and 3 hermit crabs. I didn't introduce everything right away I did a little here a little there. Anyway today was my first water change after the water change I tested the water my ph was a bit low and my ammonia a bit high any reasonable answer for why this may happen? I have 60 lbs live rock and a protien skimmer in the sump. My sump does have some debris in it that I can't really get to I put I filter sock on today. Do you think the water change could have disturbed some pockets and caused a small spike?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also a sand sifting star fish yes I know he will probably die.

How did you cycle the tank? There should be no ammonia in a properly cycled tank. Do a couple of reasonable water changes to get rid of that ammonia...

I put water in the tank treated it with decloinater waited a few days put LR in every week for 4 weeks till I had 60 lbs. Let the tank cycle ammonia spike nitrites then nitrates then stable after two solid weeks then I let it sit for a few days while I purchased my power head skimmer and top off kit for my sump. Then added some frags and so on.

I put garlic pellets in a couple times but not much.

I researched it and found that it's okay to use tap water as long as it's dechlorinated and only when your setting the tank up. Any water I add in my tank is RO now. I have no fish I'm trying to be patient.

Update problem found but resolution going to take some time.

So I'm a little upset let my lesson be your tip.

I buy my water from my local f/s pre mixed. Well I had a ammonia problem and couldn't figure out why. Well it seems the problem is not mine but there's I did a 10 percent water change with in balanced water I excluded all possibility and decided to test a sample of the water I used in my water change. Sure enough it had the same exact ppm reading as the water in my tank now .25ppm. What should I do now I assume doing a water change every week 10% till it clears up. I'm a little upset I lost a crab out of this possibly two the other crab had been hiding for a few days. If you were me what would you say to the f/s? How should I handle this. So far they never lead me wrong they always are a big help but wtf?

You def need to get RODI unit. Don't get any more water at that store. If you can't do a RODI yet, get some purified (not spring) water at the grocery store. Mix and heat it yourself. You need to know how to make your own so you don't have to worry about availability and quality in case you need it quickly, plus it's less money. Best of luck!

Yeah just though it was a little easier to but it from them but now I'm not so sure.

Back
Top Bottom