Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
ammonia and nitrates

Couple of quick questions...
I have a 125 SW with CC, (I know I need to drop it and get LS...know this. will do this soon), Sealife wet/dry, Aqua C skimmer, and 4 Via Aqua subm pumps for water circulation. My tank has been set up since Dec and I have been testing my water weekly. My levels have been 0 since the cycling of the tank which was about 1 month ago. I have 2 clowns, 1 damsel, and a wrasse, and 12 snails. Also have 30 lbs of LR. Just last week I increased my temp to 80 but I am bringing this back down to around 78 in the next couple of days.
In the past few days I have just a hint of ammonia and nitrates. My ammonia is less than .25 and the nitrates are so little dont know what they are. Salinity is 1.024. I am VERY conservative in feeding and only feed every other day. My question is.....

1) I did 1 water change (10%) if that last week. should I continue to do them weekly unitl I knock out the ammonia? What else will eliminate this ammonia?
2) what to do to knock out hint of nitrates?
3) Im thinking of adding a UV sterilizer? Any thoughts on this?

any thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Would you please explain how you cycled your tank? Don't want to jump to conclusions but from what you describe, it may not have been successfully cycled at the beginning.

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I cycled my tank with 3 damsels for over 5 weeks and all levels were at 0 when I started adding other fish. Plus I waited another 2 weeks after the tank cycled BEFORE adding the 2 clowns, wrasse. I have always heard you will have an ammonia spike when adding fish so i assume this is it. Only been 1-2 weeks that I added the fish.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #4
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
I think that the tank did not completely cycle with the three damsels in that size tank. Among other reasons, that is why the recommended method is the cocktail shrimp method. That and measuring the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels for the next few weeks to ensure that you got your spikes at the various times. Two possibilities I can think of.

1) continue slow feeding and do not add any more livestock for a while to give the tank a chance to continue cycling. This assumes that ammonia and/or nitirites does not become a problem. When you do start to add new stock, so so very slowly, one at a time,
2) remove all stock to a holding tank and recycle the tank (good time to replace the CC too with LS)

You will see nitrates and that is not necessarily a bad thing. Just make sure it does not elevate to a problem level.

As far as a UV sterilizer, unless you are going with a full blown reef system, in my opinion, it is not needed.

One question on the LR. Did you get it from your LFS or online? If online, be aware that there is some die-off in shipping as it will cause a cycle in your tank too.

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Cycled

Have to agree, tank wasnt cycled. I cycled my 150 for 6 weeks with 40 mollies and still had a spike when i added live stock.

Tags
ammonia, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com