ammonia in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LordErrorprone

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi ever since i set up my aquarium Ive had ammonia in the water. I recently did a test on the tap water and found ammonia. What can i do to get rid of it?

call your water dept.

as far as getting rid of it, just run the tank now as it is and use filtered water instead.

call your water dept.

Calling you water dept isnt going to do anything. I work for a water municipality and ammonia is added to treated water to make it safe and drinkable. Not too good for aquariums though. You need to get a RO/DI unit. That will take care of it.

Yes but depending on his recent weather status they might have added more to compensate, happens all the time.

I`m just saying if you call the water dept they are not going to change something for one person. Not trying to argue but I know they wont change it.

Wow, I didn't know this. So with an Ro unit there's no need for a dechlorinator? :shocked!::shocked!::shocked!:

Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
Nope. Assuming you're running the water through a carbon block before the RO membrane (which most units do), you don't need any dechlorinator.

Some "bare-bone" RO setups don't have any carbon filters at all... that's the only reason I'm covering myself with the above statement.

Kind of curious about how much ammonia you are reading?

If your water company is feeding ammonia it is for the sole purpose of creating chloramines. Chloramines last longer out in the system an also help to reduce the chlorine smell from your water. Normally they want to keep the free ammonia down to a fraction of a ppm. If you are seeing an elevated reading it would not hurt to give them a call anyway. Too much ammonia in the water mains can cause the same thing that happens in our tanks, nitrifying bacteria can start to grow. Plus it means they are wasting ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom