Ammonia is off the charts....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

montero

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know the name of my test kit but it uses pieces of color shaded plastic. I add chemical powder to my water and then compare the water color to the color shading on the pieces of plastic.
Anyway, the ammonia clor shaded plastic piece is different shades of green. My water is blue. I'm assuming this means that I have very high levels of ammonia.
I'm currently cycling my tank.
55 gallon tank.
20lbs LR
30lbs base rock
Old Castle tropical playsand
Emporer Biowheel
powerhead
Temp=81 degrees
PH 8.2
3 domino damsels( I know, I know) They seem happy and look great.

3 domino damsels( I know, I know) They seem happy and look great.

Then I would almost believe your test has been contaminated. If it was really that high they would not be happy, as a matter of fact they would probally be swimming belly up 8O . Please get another test and let us know. :mrgreen:

I've tested it twice. Once last week and again yesterday.
Do you think I need a new test kit?

In a word YES. 8O At least take it to your lfs to get them to test it. But again if your ammonia is that far off the charts and it's been 2 weeks then I know your test kit is messed up. 2 weeks that high would kill almost anything. 8O

Make sure your kit says it works with saltwater. Some freshwater kits give false positive readings for ammonia.

Did you use any kind of ammonia remover that is to nutrilize ammonia? Often these will produce false positive readings aswell in some test kits.

I didn't use any ammonia remover.
My test kit came with the 55gallon saltwater setup kit I purchased.
I will check when I get home to make sure you can use it for SW.

Back
Top Bottom