Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2003, 04:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ammonia levels are out of control...need help!

We have a new 55 gal tank (8-31-03) and I did everything wrong! I overstocked the aquarium.
1 yellow tang
3 percula clownfish
1 butterfly
2 chocolate chip starfish
1 hermit crab
1 clarkii clownfish
1 royal gramma
1 horseshoe crab
live sand

The ammonia level tested at .8 again tonight. We did a 25 gallon water change yesterday. It doesn't seem to have had an effect. I have read on other websites about a product called "cycle". Should we use this? The royal gramma is laying on the "ship wreck". I think he is a goner. Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Do fish "sleep" or rest on the bottom of the tank or is this a sign of distress?
Thank you.

Old 09-20-2003, 07:34 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I have read on other websites about a product called "cycle". Should we use this?
IMO, it is a waste of money, I have never seen it work.

IMO, you should remove all the fish and take them back to the LFS. Don't expect any money back, just get them to hold them for you and hope for the best. Then allow your tank to cycle natuarlyy. Once the ammonia and nitrite levels have dropped to zero, you can start adding fish, 1 per week, no more that 1" of (adult sized) fish per 5g tank volume.

Quote:
Do fish "sleep" or rest on the bottom of the tank or is this a sign of distress?
It can be either, they do sleep and rest on the bottom, or in the rocks, or where ever they feel like resting, but it can also be a sign of distress, it all depends on the context.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 12:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for your help. The royal gramma is swimming around like normal. I guess he does "sleep" like that. Creepy! Our hermit crab moulted the other day and that freaked us out too. I thought it would look more like a snake when it shed its skin. This thing look like a real headless hermit crab. We were inspired to buy a saltwater tank because the movie Finding Nemo (we have a 5 yr old). The guy from the pet shop said he has sold a lot more fish because of this movie. We are all learning a lot about aquariums (so far what not to do).

Thanks again!

Tags
ammonia, control, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com