Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-27-2004, 09:42 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Sparky
First of all, thanks Steve for merging the posts for me.
No worries, it just makes it a little easier to follow

Second, I can not return the fish to the place I bought them. I purchased them on Sunday, and on Monday the placed burned down. They lost pretty much all of the fish I was told even the "prize" specimens in their huge tank were lost. Fortunately they were able to save the puppies and birds and stuff.
8O 8O 8O

Would water changes to bring down the ammonia level be a good idea when it reaches .25 ppm? Right now I am very close to that reading and my fish are showing no signs of stress. They are going about their business as the day I put them in.

What should I be looking for in the reaction of the fish to tell me that something may be wrong. I do not want to kill them, I would rather change the water at times to keep the ammonia levels down. This I suppose would also make the "cycle" time a little longer too?
Loss of color, odd swimming patterns, rapid breathing and surface gulping would be signs of distress. The lower the ammonia the better but you cannot eliminate it completely and still properly cycle the tank. As long as you are mindful of that and do not allow the ammonia or nitrite to get too high, the fish should survive. All you need are small amounts of NH3 and NO2 to allow the tank to cycle and the proper bacteria to form. Excessive or high levels do not do more for the scale of bacteria as it will only grow to meet the needs of the environment. I would keep some SW mixed and well aerated for a changes on the fly if needed.

Old 02-27-2004, 09:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thanks Steve.

125 Gal-35 Gal Wet/Dry-Tetra-Tec PF500 HOB Filter
(3) AuquaClear 301 Powerheads-600 GPH Circulating Pump
Automatic Tempature Controller
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote

ammonia, cycling, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com