Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate Spikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicko86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My ammonia levels were staying about 0.25ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 0ppm for 2 weeks straight. I tested my water and here are my new readings.

Ammonia- 3.0ppm
Nitrite- 1.0ppm
Nitrate- 10ppm
Now do I need to do a water change or just allow the cycle to do its thing? I'm not really sure if im waiting for the Nitrite to eat away the ammonia then the nitrate to get rid of the nitrite, then a water change to get rid of the nitrate?
I've been letting this tank cycle for a month now and with 30pounds of live sand 25 pounds of live rock. I also seeded it with a friend of mines sand that has had his tank established for many years now. Just wasn't expecting it to take as long but I understand every tank is different. I am using a skimmer and a filter.

Tank- 29g biocube
Filter- BioBalls, Reg filter, and skimmer

Let it do it's thing. Do a big water change once you are 0 on ammonia and nitrite to bring down the nitrates.

Yeah let it go it will settle down can take up to 8 weeks but usually faster seachem stability is a great product to build up bacteria colonies

Ok well this morning I checked my levels.

Ammonia- 1.5-2.0ppm
Nitrite- 2.0ppm
Nitrate-20ppm

Do I need to keep my ammonia levels up or just allow it to drop to 0 on it's own now that it's spiked? This whole water cycle can get pretty confusing cause everyone does it different and every tank reacts different as well. Just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

IMO you've had ammonia up to 3 and you tank bought ammonia and nitrites down, once read zero you should be right to add couple small hardier fish, but do that slowly once added couple fish wait until the tank does a tiny cycle and returns to zero again then add more fish and so on don't load tank to quick, but as you say everyone is different, your ammonia and nitrite will raise slightly after adding fish each time, there is no getting around this, but once your tank has done its first major cycle the bacteria will be in place to cope and reproduce as the fish load grows, patience and regular monitoring as your adding is the key, this is how I've set up tanks successfully but I guess there maybe people with other opinions that also may been sucessful with other ways. Hope this helps

I appreciate it Scully. Yeah I guess I'm just going to see if it hits zero by sunday which I'm thinking it will since there's already been a drop off in the levels or atleast I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Was probably going to do a 10% water change once the ammonia hits 0 just to bring my nitrates down some and then add two clownfish to start it off. Going to stay away from damsels if I can. I'll keep you guys updated.

Yeah clowns are pretty tough, they are actually a member of the damsel family lol, great fish good luck with them yeah keep us posted on how ya go if ya need anything just message me I may not know the answer but I'm new on this forum and there seems to be a wealth of info on here from different people.

Also 10% water change after the initial cycle would be a good thing just make sure it's all zero first because if it's not it actually dilutes the ammonia and nitrites and can actually slow the cycle process down.

IMO you've had ammonia up to 3 and you tank bought ammonia and nitrites down, once read zero you should be right to add couple small hardier fish, but do that slowly once added couple fish wait until the tank does a tiny cycle and returns to zero again then add more fish and so on don't load tank to quick, but as you say everyone is different, your ammonia and nitrite will raise slightly after adding fish each time, there is no getting around this, but once your tank has done its first major cycle the bacteria will be in place to cope and reproduce as the fish load grows, patience and regular monitoring as your adding is the key, this is how I've set up tanks successfully but I guess there maybe people with other opinions that also may been sucessful with other ways. Hope this helps

I have to dissagree. Fish dont stop pooping once you have the tank cycled. They will be a constant source of ammonia. You need to keep dosing ammonia until it goes to 0ppm in 24 hours. Then you change the ammonia source to fish that you put in. You have to emulate the tank being stocked when you cycle. The beneficial bacteria feeds on the ammonia, without it you will stall the cycle.

+1 spoonman

I agree, you need to be able to have your tank eat up the ammonia within 24 hours, just like if you had fish. You want 0 ammonia at all times and the biological filter is the way to have it done. just wait it out, you should almost be done.

Once you do have the ammonia being eaten up in 24 hours or less then you do a LARGE water change, enough to get the nitrate levels down. Once you do that then you can start to add livestock. Go slowly at first though, you system is used to a set amount of ammonia so if you go crazy with fish then you will overwhelm the bio system and you will get ammonia/nitrite spikes that can affect your fish.

So in other words I need to get some ammonia and spike my tank real high till my ammonia levels just drops to 0 within 24 hours?

You dont want to go over 4ppm. If it is down to 2 or 3 the next day, dose it back to 4. When it goes to 0ppm in 24 hours and nitrIte is 0ppm also, you will have a high nitrAte. Then you will do big water changes to get the nitrAte down and you will be ready for fish.

X2 with spoonman

another ? everyone failed to ask was how long has the tank been cycling it usually takes anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks

Just wanted to be sure you weren't trying to rush the cycle
sounds like your about through with your cycle
spoonman has you on the right path than
everyone's cycle is always different due to different water quality
that's why everyone pushes "Ro water"

We never asked how long as it says it in the original post about how long it's been cycling for if you read it, as I said people have different ways of going about it and different methods, what it really comes down to is waiting till everything zeros, yes the fish will keep pooping in the water, if the biological filter is able to handle a level of 3 a couple of small fish will keep pooping, as stated and feed the biological filter therefore building the bacteria levels, if the ammonia and nitrite levels escalate to a dangerous level then a major water change will be required to dilute these toxins.

Well here's an update.

So I went to my LFS and talked to them about my situation and they were surprised I hadn't cycled using their process. They said that my tank was just stuck in the cycling process and that I needed a jump. Well I know this might be frowned upon but they recommended that I take some of their water from one of their established tanks, so that's what we did. They said that with the good bacteria that was in their water it might be enough to jump the cycle. Well I did a 50/50 water change based on what they recommended I do. My levels after an hour of cycleing and my ammonia was at 1ppm, nitrite 1ppm and nitrates 20ppm. I waited 3 days and tested my aquarium to see where it was at. Well to my surprise my ammonia levels are at 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, and nitrates 5ppm.

So I'm guessing my tank is finally cycled? I feel like I cheated the system by doing what I did but it worked. You guys don't think I will have any surprises later on when I start adding fish and some soft corals in a week or so?

I would (if it was me) add couple small fish you'd be ready for them, and leave them untill your tank sustains for a week at constant zero, do your corals last because as you gradually add fish you will be adding to the bio load, the tank levels should raise slightly each time you add fish but would be expected but won't for long as the tank has already cycled and the bacteria is in place to tackle the levels. The nitrate will rise as an end result of these mini spikes as its the final stage of the cycle, the nitrate isI actually part of the cycle and corals don't like nitrates either and are sensitive to high nitrates, by adding fish first you can also consider which fish, as corals are part of some fishes diet such as (most angels) now the fun begins as to what to put in !! Btw you haven't cheated with the cycling, I also recommend using seachem stability as you add fish as it adds both types of bacteria to help boost and continue to build the bacteria needed to keep the levels at zero, in time the tank and filter will be loaded and wouldn't really require it, it's also good to add this chemical into the water changes hope this helps !

I appreciate it scully! Defenitly am excited to finally start adding things to my aquarium ( slow of course). Thinking about a pair of black clownfish and going from there. I'll post some pics of the tank later on.

Back
Top Bottom