Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So in other words I need to get some ammonia and spike my tank real high till my ammonia levels just drops to 0 within 24 hours?

Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Fish R friends, not food!

You dont want to go over 4ppm. If it is down to 2 or 3 the next day, dose it back to 4. When it goes to 0ppm in 24 hours and nitrIte is 0ppm also, you will have a high nitrAte. Then you will do big water changes to get the nitrAte down and you will be ready for fish.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

X2 with spoonman

another ? everyone failed to ask was how long has the tank been cycling it usually takes anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks
Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Its been cycling for a month.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Just wanted to be sure you weren't trying to rush the cycle
sounds like your about through with your cycle
spoonman has you on the right path than
everyone's cycle is always different due to different water quality
that's why everyone pushes "Ro water"
Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

We never asked how long as it says it in the original post about how long it's been cycling for if you read it, as I said people have different ways of going about it and different methods, what it really comes down to is waiting till everything zeros, yes the fish will keep pooping in the water, if the biological filter is able to handle a level of 3 a couple of small fish will keep pooping, as stated and feed the biological filter therefore building the bacteria levels, if the ammonia and nitrite levels escalate to a dangerous level then a major water change will be required to dilute these toxins.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well here's an update.

So I went to my LFS and talked to them about my situation and they were surprised I hadn't cycled using their process. They said that my tank was just stuck in the cycling process and that I needed a jump. Well I know this might be frowned upon but they recommended that I take some of their water from one of their established tanks, so that's what we did. They said that with the good bacteria that was in their water it might be enough to jump the cycle. Well I did a 50/50 water change based on what they recommended I do. My levels after an hour of cycleing and my ammonia was at 1ppm, nitrite 1ppm and nitrates 20ppm. I waited 3 days and tested my aquarium to see where it was at. Well to my surprise my ammonia levels are at 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, and nitrates 5ppm.

So I'm guessing my tank is finally cycled? I feel like I cheated the system by doing what I did but it worked. You guys don't think I will have any surprises later on when I start adding fish and some soft corals in a week or so?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would (if it was me) add couple small fish you'd be ready for them, and leave them untill your tank sustains for a week at constant zero, do your corals last because as you gradually add fish you will be adding to the bio load, the tank levels should raise slightly each time you add fish but would be expected but won't for long as the tank has already cycled and the bacteria is in place to tackle the levels. The nitrate will rise as an end result of these mini spikes as its the final stage of the cycle, the nitrate isI actually part of the cycle and corals don't like nitrates either and are sensitive to high nitrates, by adding fish first you can also consider which fish, as corals are part of some fishes diet such as (most angels) now the fun begins as to what to put in !! Btw you haven't cheated with the cycling, I also recommend using seachem stability as you add fish as it adds both types of bacteria to help boost and continue to build the bacteria needed to keep the levels at zero, in time the tank and filter will be loaded and wouldn't really require it, it's also good to add this chemical into the water changes hope this helps !
Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I appreciate it scully! Defenitly am excited to finally start adding things to my aquarium ( slow of course). Thinking about a pair of black clownfish and going from there. I'll post some pics of the tank later on.

Tags
ammonia, nitrate, nitrate spike, nitrite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com