Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate Testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I understand that as I start the cycling process, I will test daily for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I realize that ammonia will spike and recede to zero, nitrite will do the same and then nitrate will climb and I will do a PWC prior to adding fish.

But once I am through the cycle, I will then primarily test more for nitrate than anything else since nitrate will be my clue when a PWC is necessary?

you'll want to keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrIte occassionally, just to make sure everything's kosher in your tank.

In addition to what neilanh said, you'll want to get in a habit of doing water changes on a regular basis - regardless of what your testing says. Coral and coralline algae will take elements out of the water that need to be regularly replaced. That's where the PWCs come in.

Got it - I'm thinking I will do a 15% PWC every other Saturday morning.

I've always had qualms about going more than a week without changing water. 20-25% every weekend is perfect in my opinion.

I change 10% every 2 weeks and have not had a problem.

We do our's in our reef every 10-14 days of around 10 - 20%.

I've always had qualms about going more than a week without changing water. 20-25% every weekend is perfect in my opinion.

FW (which I think is what I've seen you keeping) is a bit different. I'll do up to 60% changes weekly in our FW tanks.

Just thought I'd clarify it a bit. :)

Back
Top Bottom