Originally Posted by Reefmob
Sorry guys for the late response I'm at work.... Ummm the lfs
said he had it 2 to 3 weeks and I got it from the bottom of the bin to make sure it was all submerged and hopefully there longer .. Going to get ammonia after work lol
The longer the rock has been sitting at the LFS
, the more likely it is that it is cured already, and the less likely there is to be stuff dying off and causing a cycle.
For what its worth, if the rock is cured, then you are in good shape - ie you don't have to go through the process of cycling. The easiest and fastest way to test this is to get some ammonia as Rick suggested and give the tank a shot and see what happens. If it quickly turns to nitrites and then nitrates, you're good to go, you'll just need to stock the tank slowly to continue building up the beneficial bacteria.
On the other hand, if you want instant stocking, then you'll need to go ahead and dose with the ammonia till it reaches the desired level.