Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Uncured LR is still base rock to me. Still need an added ammonia source.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Did you get the rock directly in the mail or from a LFS? If the later did you ask how long they had it?

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry guys for the late response I'm at work.... Ummm the lfs said he had it 2 to 3 weeks and I got it from the bottom of the bin to make sure it was all submerged and hopefully there longer .. Going to get ammonia after work lol
Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmob View Post
Sorry guys for the late response I'm at work.... Ummm the lfs said he had it 2 to 3 weeks and I got it from the bottom of the bin to make sure it was all submerged and hopefully there longer .. Going to get ammonia after work lol
The longer the rock has been sitting at the LFS, the more likely it is that it is cured already, and the less likely there is to be stuff dying off and causing a cycle.

For what its worth, if the rock is cured, then you are in good shape - ie you don't have to go through the process of cycling. The easiest and fastest way to test this is to get some ammonia as Rick suggested and give the tank a shot and see what happens. If it quickly turns to nitrites and then nitrates, you're good to go, you'll just need to stock the tank slowly to continue building up the beneficial bacteria.

On the other hand, if you want instant stocking, then you'll need to go ahead and dose with the ammonia till it reaches the desired level.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks going to try it today

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com