Ammonia problem during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fleck

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5 gal saltwater tank trying a fishless cycle.
2 filters, cartridge style, turning the tank over 20 times per hour.

Ph 8.2
Ammonia 8.0 +
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

When completed I hope to have 1 happy, healthy fish, maybe a snail or two, a piece of coral, and thats it.

Question 1: Is this just a pipedream?
Question 2: Is this ammonia reading EVER going to drop?

Thank you,

Fleck

Question 1: Is this just a pipedream?

Why do you say that? Nano's are extremely popular nowadays. I would like to set up a 12 gallon nano in my house someday.

Question 2: Is this ammonia reading EVER going to drop?

Eventually, yes. :wink: How long have you been cycling the tank for and what method are you using? Dead shrimp? Uncured LR?

I've been cycling for 4 weeks now using the dead shrimp method.

Four weeks and no nitrite yet? That a little strange. What test kit do you use? May want to consider getting another to double check the accuracy of the first one.

Plastic aquarium plant, stone for aqarium bottoms from local pet store, misc shells approx 5 small 1 large enough for a fish to find refuge.

I cycled a 12 gal nano and it took only two weeks. I did the masacist method and used a damsel though. The other thing, like wally said, is I used about 5 lbs LR and 2" of LS to start. Worked like a charm. :D

I used about 5 lbs LR and 2" of LS to start. Worked like a charm.
Is the ammonia level too high (8.0+) to put LR or LS into the tank?
I've read (somewhere) don't screw with the cycle by adding an ammonia reducer. Just be patient.
Do you agree?

And please forgive my lack of manners.
I should've said this earlier.

Thank you (all) for your help. I am really enjoying the wealth of information on this site.

I would go ahead and get a decent piece of LR. I wouldn't get one too rich with life, your putting it into a toxic pool. The LS can wait til the cycle is complete. I didn't seem to have a problem cycling with LS. I did however start with uncured LR. Let the cycle cure the rock, killed two birds with one stone. :lol:

Most of the time patience is the name of the game. However, with a nano, things can happen alot quicker than in a bigger tank though.

There is another forum called http://nano-reef.com/ that may have some info for you as well. However they're no Aquarium Advice forum. You can't beat these guys and gals.

Back
Top Bottom