Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2003, 05:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Butters Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters Send a message via Yahoo to Butters
Ammonia problems

ok i searched for an answer but didn't find one
my ammonia for some reason stays between .250 and .50. current bio load is 3 turbos/4 astreas/2 conch/1 sand sifting star. i do a 20% water change twice a week and still ammonia remains present. i also use tap water. i asked the guy at the lfs about "ammo lock" and he said not to get it.(forgot the reason) i tested my tap for ammonia and the readings are 0.
weird thing is that my nitrites stay at 0 and my nitrates stay at 10.

this is getting really flustrating. still feel like i have no idea what I'm doing.
tank has been up for 2 months now. the minute I put in some live stuff i get ammonia. I understand why I get it but I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

also one of the guys at the lfs said I will always have traces of ammonia and that .250-5.0 is fine. By reading here I don't think that should be the case. Am I correct in this? It should read 0 at all times right?

Old 08-17-2003, 07:28 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What do you use to dechlorinate the tap water?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Butters Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters Send a message via Yahoo to Butters
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
What do you use to dechlorinate the tap water?
aquaclear
Old 08-17-2003, 03:09 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
aquaclear
Are you refering to the tablet product that campers use to make drinking water safe or if not can you post the manufacturers name?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-17-2003, 04:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

sorry its AquaPlus by Nutrafin.
for chlorine 1 capful treats 10 gallons
for chloramine 1 capful treats 5 gallons
to protect scales and fins 2 capfuls treats 10 gallons (Double quantity for saltwater aquariums)
Old 08-17-2003, 06:12 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Are you treating at a chlorine level or a chlorimine level? If your water treatment company uses chlorimines instead of chlorine and your treating at the chlorine level....your just going to break the bond between the chlorine and ammonia, the chlorine will be removed but the ammonia will stay. I would also suggest getting your test kit double checked.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 06:13 PM   #7
steve-s

Try testing the tap water after adding the Aquaplus. Could be a false reading from the test kit or possibley the conditioner itself.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-17-2003, 08:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

tested the tap water after the aquaplus. ammonia readings are 0. I'm thinking that the ammonia spike could have been caused by adding 2 lbs of live sand when we had that east coast blackout. is it possible to have die off after 6 hours and 1 hour travel time to get the sand from the store to the tank?

also got a phospate tester today since i have to rely on tap water. reading was .250 ppm on pre treated tap water. should i get something like "phosguard" to lower it to safer levels?
Old 08-18-2003, 12:00 AM   #9
steve-s

If your not having algae issues, I would worry anout the PO4. Keep tabs on the NH3 and see if the sand theory pays outs.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-18-2003, 12:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

im having a green hair algae bloom but its not to bad atm. however i have TONS of "white hairs" floating in my water? could theese be belached by the sand hair algae?

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Heater | blackout »