ammonia spike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMPD109

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am concerned about the cycling ammonia spike of my tank. I now it is OK when it happens but when is it too high? Here is what I have

Started 12/01
12/02 50#LS from a bag at LFS
12/03 2 damsels
12/05 ph 8.2, ammonia .25, nitrite 00, nitrate 10, salin 1.021
12/06 ph 8.2, ammonia .00, nitrite 00, nitrate 10, salin 1.021
12/09 add 6 red leg reef hermit crabs, same test results as 12/06
12/10 add 50# LR (from LR.com- they suggest no curing)
12/11 ph 8.2, ammonia 2.0, nitrite .25, nitrate 20, salin 1.022

I did a partial water change (5gal) and will check again soon. Does this sound normal? The damsels are doing fine (good color, good eating, normal breathing and activity). What else should I look for and be concerned about? Any help would be great. Thanks

28 gal bowfront
HOT magnum(no carbon until today)
seaclone 100(started when I added live rock)
50#LS from LFS
30# LR from liverocks.com
2 yellowtail damsels
6 reg leg hermit crabs
hithers from LR

The first thing you should do is take the damsels bask to the fish store (lfs) until the tank has completed cycling. Then read this article - How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish.

The LR could have been used to cycle your tank too. Ammonia of 2.0 is toxic to most fish. The spike is most likely due to the LR you just added. When the tank is cycled then youcan decide if you really want the damsels or if you would prefer some other fish in the tank.

Keep asking questions here.

Yes, please return the poor damsels. The live rock is more than sufficient to cycle your tank.
The spike is a normal part of the cycle.

I am concerned about the cycling ammonia spike of my tank. I now it is OK when it happens but when is it too high?
My question still stands. What is normal and for how long? The fish are doing great and found 3 condy's that came out and spread.

It is hard to say what is normal as evaporation and water quality can vary from tank to tank.. As said 2.0 is toxic to most fish. Your tank will do fine without the fish. You should see the levels of ammonia drop and the nitrites rise as this happens. The fish may make it through it but you should take them back and let the rock cycle your tank.

Back
Top Bottom