Ammonia Spike with 2 clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StanBeezer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think I my have made a mistake and put two clowns in before tank cycled for the first time. I am worried that the 2 clowns will probabley die due to the inevitable ammonia spike. Should I water change or just hope for the ammonia not rise too high?

You should've seen the ammonia go up very high, then come back down, Then a nitrite spike and back down to zero before adding fish. WHat is the source of ammonia? The fish?

If it were me, I'd take the clowns back and wait. You got ammonia and nitrite test kits, right?

And of course, the requisite "welcome to AA". :smilecolros:

I have all the test kits. I was thinking though...if I see the ammonia approach .6 maybe i just do a small water chenge or buy an ammoni reducing product. My intial mistake was keeping the protein skimmer on when it should have been off for the break in period.

...if I see the ammonia approach .6 maybe i just do a small water chenge or buy an ammoni reducing product.

I believe you got to let it peak on its own - unless you're convinced you're gonna keep the fish. I think it'd be better to let the tank's cyle run its course with gorcery store shrimp - and no fish BTW.

Good luck.

Well clowns are pretty hardy. If the ammonia has already spiked and isnt going much higher they should be fine. If it is still rising I would either do some water changes (this makes a longer cycle) or take them back to the store and get some after your cycle is done.

What I would do is take the fish back and replace them with some raw uncooked cocktail shrimp from a grocery store. After your cycle is done I would put a couple clowns back in if you want.

Back
Top Bottom