Ammonia Test bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2Salt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok here's what's going on... 29 gallon cycling since 11/28, was doing good up until a couple a weeks ago, it was at 0 ammonia and the nitrate was just a little high was at 5.0, then we added live cured rock 10lbs and the nitrate worked it's way down to 0, but now the ammonia is at 0.50.

so as a test we tested some fresh mixed saltwater and the test came up the same. Our question is, is it possible for a test to go bad? We are now trying to use a different test tube to do the test in and so far it's giving a different color closer to 0. We are using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit. Are we supposed to do something to the tubes besides rinsing them?

We are going to go down to the local fish store to have them test it. Weird, when using the AP test tube it came back 0.10 and when using another test tube from a different test (A tube that hadn't had any chemicals in it before) it came up as 0.5.

Look forward to any help.

then we added live cured rock 10lbs

It is my understanding that unless you got the well-cured rock from a neighbors tank..(meaning really close to home), kept it in water, drove home really fast and immediately put it in your tank, there is no such thing as no die off. All rock should be cured again once you acquire it unless the other situation applies. It may have been your rock that caused the ammonia spike. Hidden sponges dieing...whatever.

ammonia

I agree with Hara about the LR. Most of the test reagents we use have a limited shelf life. If your ammonia test is over a year old, it may not be reading correctly. As to the freshly mixed salt water, I've heard that many brands of synthetic salt have a small concentration of ammonia. I have never tried testing any though. I would suspect the test until it was verified. If the test is over a year old, I'd get a new one.
Logan J

Thank to you both, we took a sample of the water to LFS and they tested it and it was 0.25 so it confirmed what our last test showed. We got one of those gage things that stay in the water, it shows safe, but then I guess it considers 0.25 safe, we are still going to test though, but not use the test tubes that came with the AP kit. The Reef lab kit has different tubes which seems to give more of an accurate reading.

So I understand what you are saying about the live rock , so is that why the nitrate readings we had zeroed out and now the ammonia which was at 0 is back up? Now we aren't going to have to wait to see if the nitrate spikes again do we? It's been 0 at close to 2 weeks, it's just the ammonia that went high and is now climbing down.

Thanks again!

If you ammonia spiked and is now declining, you should wait at least week to ensure all the other readings remain at 0. IMO your tank is still in cycle period until all your readings are consistently 0 for at least a week.

You might see a small nitrite spike as more good bacteria are produced to consume the ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom