Originally Posted by brianf40us
Is it possible that i have amonia because of my live rock that i just added in the last 2 weeks. i added about 24 pound of it in the last 2 weeks.
The ammonia is coming from the LR
. The fact that you have zero nitrites is a good indication that you have established a colony of nitrification bacteria; but LR
can produce a lot
of ammonia. LR
can take many weeks to cure - sometimes up to two months - even if you purchased so called "cured" live rock.
You do water changes to reduce the nitrate levels, and 40 ppm
of nitrates is OK. To reduce the ammonia, let the cycle continue without water changes. After both ammonia and Nitrites are zero, and remain so for a few days, you can do a PWC
to lower the nitrates, and then start adding live stock.
As you probably know, ammonia is very toxic in the high pH (8 - 9) range we keep our marine environments in. It's not that salt water fish are more sensitive to ammonia, but rather that the % of free ammonia relative to the amount of total available nitrogen (TAN) increases dramatically as the pH climbs above 7.
Sounds to me like you are off to a great start! Have fun...