Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
That's where I got my kit from glass holes but they give u everything u need and for ur stand I would def go with plywood fir extra protection and it would be quieter but keep up the good work

Loso`s 55 gallon FOWLR build
Loso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some plywood and some boards that I'm going to use as trim. I'm no carpenter so plain, non decorative trim will be used. I wanted to get nicer wood and stain it, but the wife wants me to paint it black, so it's going to be black.

I'm stuck though. Can't figure out what to do about the hinges. Rather than cutting the doors out, I figured I'd give myself better access to the sump area and just make the whole face of the stand open, and I can't figure out how to do the hinges. I've got the front two "doors" put together and the sides will be the same, but fixed to the frame. For the life of me I can't figure out a way to do the hinges where they won't stick out an inch. I may get a piano hinge and notch out a place in the side panels to completely hide the hinge, which is what I want.

I'm going to fill all the cracks with wood putty and sand it smooth so it should look like one solid piece when it's finished. Let me know what you think!

tjm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking good.
-----SCRK member-----
Follow me on twitter: Reefer_Addict
six2sevenproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak
I should clarify that I knew butt hinges would work, but since it is to be painted black, the brass or zinc coated hinges wouldn't look good. But my wife said that she is going to do some kind of rustic gold something on the doors. Who knows, but she said the brass hinges will work.

Also, is there any way a moderator could change the title of the thread to my build thread since that's what it's basically turned into? lol

tjm80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com