And I begin again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TmeLrd11

Aquarium Advice Activist
So because of Sandy my home lost power for 8 days and though I tried my hardest to keep my fish alive in the end they all died. From my fave clown fish to my emerald crabs, all gone. Two days ago when we finally got power back I decided it was time to clean out the mess. I scooped about all the casualties and took the opportunity to redo my rock work. Sine the water was so foul smelling I took out about 80% of the water out and replaced it. Today my water is still very cloudy and the rocks also look dusty. My ammonia is 4 ppm. I was wondering if anyone could help me solve these problems. All other test results are normal as well as salinity. I'd really like to get my tank back to where is used to be.

I would run some carbon, and do a PWC every other day until it gets better...

And I didn't mean to sound heartless there 8-( I'm really sorry to hear about your losses... I know Sandy was quite a *****, I have family who's houses were under water. Up in NH we just got wind and rain, but it was still scary knowing what was going on south of us...

Terrible news.

You might have to do a complete cycle if all the BB died. No way to tell without watching all 3 N levels. Safely if nitrite and nitrate are both zero, you might be back to square 1. Watch the trites and see if they rise.

Thanks guys. Yeah we made it out of the storm pretty lucky. We live in central nj and besides the power outage there were some rather large trees up rooted, power lines down and some that caught fire, we saw several transformers blow up and the sky turned this blue green that was quite creepy, fences blown out of the ground, and our chimney fell off the house. Despite all this our friends and family and ourselves were all unharmed and that's what really counts.

I have one more question about the tank: should I replace my live rock? The coldest my tank got was around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I didn't know if that would kill the good bacteria and such in the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom