And I start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Torches are really cool - just make sure you put a lot of space between it and other corals - they have really long sweeper tentacles.

I am going to try and find a torch coral today from a local seller. I know he has some but looking for a specific look. If I can't find one what should I get to bring color or just excitement to the tank. I like mushrooms but don't want a rock covered with them. I would like some that are loose and place them where I want them.

Ricordia mushrooms are very colorful and do great as stand alone additions. I'm up to six of them now.

I've had three for almost 6 months and one of them has gotten very big and it looks like its starting to split, but he two halves are still clinging together so it appears as one.

I had another that I bought a few weeks ago that already split.

Not sure what's par for the course.

I got two red mushrooms a while back that were loose I placed them where I wanted them one of them stayed the other floated to the back. They are set in there place but on is where you can't see. Should I try to take it off? Will I hurt it if I pull it off? I was thinking of cutting it in half and making two, is this a bad idea?

If you pull it off, you might rip it, which would just mean you would get another mushroom. Cutting it in half would give you two as well.

I heard a story from a guy at an LFS, that had a customer who would use a blender to chop up shrooms and grow hundreds of new ones!

I got a torch with 4-heads for $35 just got it in the tank going to leave it there for a while till I decide where to keep it.

ForumRunner_20120222_183806.jpg

So this is what I have going on and need some advice. Last night I came home from work and evaporation seemed high compared to normal. So I added water then in the morning it was more than normal again. I then topped off again. 20 min later it looked like my DT was going to overflow. I then noticed that the filter thing on the stand pipe in the the back overflow was full of junk and took it off. Water level went down and thought all was good other than water level in the sump was high. Now when I come home the level in the DT is high and not full in the sump. Do you all think that there may be build up in the PVC going to the DT to the sump? I just don't understand why this is happening what do you think?

Thanks, that was the first jump I have had. I guess I need to put a lid, I have thought it will block light so didn't want to.

Make a mesh top - super easy, I made two of them already. You can get the stuff cheap from BUlkreefsupply.

It barely blocks any light at all.

The cons of using solid tops is that it's. It's down on gas exchange and diffuses the light somewhat.

Having an open top or mesh allows for better exchange, cooling, and less light blockage. However, using no top or mesh will have MORE evaporation.

Also, using glass or plexi tops, you will have added maintenance of constantly washing off the salt creep.

Back
Top Bottom