And I start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two ways one he jumped out the back. The sump hangs out the back about an inch and he jumped from the tank and ended in the sump. Or he jumped in the overflow box went through the U tube down the stand pipe over the first baffel under the second than back over the third.

Got my dual GFO Carbon reactor today. Let's see how the last 4 hours went for me. Started off by hanging the unit, now this was a pain in the neck. I had a tight space to hang it and only had tools would fit I think it took me 45 minutes to get two screws in to the 2x4's. Got them in and all set up good times right? Then a friend walked in to my light and took off a leg. Screws were stripped had to go get a longer screw. Before I go to home depot I start getting the rubble rock I bought ready to rinse. I hear loud splashing turn around and the tube leading from my rerun pump came off. So what do I do? Turn off power and attach it, yes it did not say. The tube was worn and stretched and not long enough to cut and attach. So I guess it was a good thing I had to go to the home depot. Picked up what I needed and finally got it all going again. Than I rinsed the rubble rock put it in 10 gallons of water from my water change. I bought 20lb I should've only got 10lb.

Just wanted to share some photos with everyone.

My torch.
ForumRunner_20120409_102237.jpg

My Toadstool

ForumRunner_20120409_102334.jpg

Kole Tang, and the bubble coral that is just about dead.

ForumRunner_20120409_102421.jpg

Dual reactor is working great. Water is clear and all corals are looking healthy and happy. What should I be looking for next,a bioball reactor? Or start saving for my 180. I know I will need all of this at some point. It would be nice to have all of the contraptions ready when I get the 180.

This reply is in regards to your concerns over your ato, an ato should have float switches with it which would only turn the pump on and add water when needed so I'm unsure of the cause for your concern. I suspect it is evaporation that is causing air in your overflow so an ato is probably gonna be a nice addition. I'm not sure of your experience and please don't take offense here, the ato doesn't throw your salinity out of whack, it does reduce it some which will put it back to the proper level. Evaporation only reduces the water volume, the stuff dissolved in the water stays and will become more concentrated (salinity increased) so with topping off you reduce the tds back to normal range.

Thank so much for your response. What was happening is that my pump was getting clogged creating air in the U tube. All is good now. But I have still not bought a ATO, I will get one soon.

My reason for looking at ATO's is to keep the salinity more stable. By adding water little bits at a time as the sump goes down, you are not adding a gallon or two at a time causing the salinity to swing.

jjamontan said:
Just wanted to share some photos with everyone.

My torch.

My Toadstool

Kole Tang, and the bubble coral that is just about dead.

Nice inhabitants! Gotta love torches!

20lb of rubble rock is now at zero for ammonia you think I should add it to my sump now? Also I have been doing around 30% water changes every week for the last six months would it be a bad idea to go to 10%?

So I lost the kole tang to ich the royal grama don't look all that good. So I set up a hospital tank. I hope I did it right. First I bought a fish trap. Filled the QT tank with water from the tank and added a dead coral and a foam pad that was in the skimmer box. Added a heater and hob filter. The qt tank is 10 gallons and added 5ml of Mardel Coppersafe. What do I do now?

Do you have a copper test kit? I believe you will need that if you treat with it. It is very specific I think.

good luck, wish I could have helped.

I don't, will run around to find one tomorrow. As of now I only added half of what the instructions said. Will dose up to what it should be when I can test for it.

Yeah you will definitely need a copper test. Too much copper will kill your fish- to little will be pointless. Just remember if you get an API test to compare the color from the tip of the tube.

Back
Top Bottom