And I start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
austinsdad said:
Should've seen it already. What kinda test kit you using? I like the API. I think you can turn the skimmer off for now too.

I am using the API saltwater master test kit. After I let the tube sit for 5 min it now reads .25 does that sound right?

Yes. Better. Do the nitrite test also. Look in our Articles section and understand the SW cycle process and what readings you should be seeing on ammonia and nitrite.

Another thought on the rock placement. Make sure you can clean the side walls and have the rock placed so you can reach down to the sand with a scraper. Those side walls can get yucky and you'll wanna clean them. Then again, I've seen side walls full of corraline and some seem to like it. I never did and like to look thru the sides.

If I were to add 5lb of live rock would it be a waste? Or is that good enough just to seed the 50lb of base rock that I have in the tank now?

Coralline is afoot thing. I hate the hitchhikers....all the research on whether they are safe or not...igh

HalfMoon B said:
I have heard that skimmers require a time of adjustment, but someone may want to correct me on that.

And yes the little bubbles that I was complaining about a few days ago have stopped.

HalfMoon B said:
Coralline is afoot thing. I hate the hitchhikers....all the research on whether they are safe or not...igh

A foot thing? Or you ment a good thing? If you ment a good thing than that's what I want is the purple, I don't care all that much for anything else.

Ammonia has risen and now fallen looks like my cycle is running good. I added 20lb of live rock last week. I have brown algae growing on the rocks and the sand.

It will last as long as there are silicates in the water. That is what if feeds on but once it consumes it all it will die off. It is a good sign that you cycle is progressing. You just need to wait it out. Good thing is, it should be all gone by the time your cycle is completed.

It also looks like there is a thin film on the water service is this the same thing as the brown algae?

Back
Top Bottom