Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I won't worry about the filter. When the tank is up and running the LR will take care of most of your filtration. Do you have a skimmer? That you should get it removes proteins,fats, suspended particles from water. Skimmers and LR should take care of your filtration needs. Power heads keep the water moving.
If it cold you may not want to keep the window open long but I would definitely air out the room. Will help a lot.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

heh heh. Its really cold, but I have fans going. (the kind that suck the air out of the house) So I should look into a protein skimmer. I am going to the lfs today so I will see what they have. Thanks everyone.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Before you buy compare to prices online. www.Captivereefs.com gives discounts 6% to aquarium advice members.
Just remember the worst is over.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:34 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope you are right. I went in and spoke to the lfs guys, and they are sure this is all very normal when moving a tank of this size that has been established for so long. They said the key to the odor control is carbon. Since I don't want to touch that old canister for fear of never starting it again, I pulled my canister from my freshwater and loaded it with carbon and moved it to the sw. The lfs guys gave me great deal on a smaller filter for my fw which worked out perfect. At 11:30 I am DONE for today. Tomorrow I get the fun job of scooping out all those dead worms.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:16 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith
I hope you are right. I went in and spoke to the lfs guys, and they are sure this is all very normal when moving a tank of this size that has been established for so long. They said the key to the odor control is carbon. Since I don't want to touch that old canister for fear of never starting it again, I pulled my canister from my freshwater and loaded it with carbon and moved it to the sw. The lfs guys gave me great deal on a smaller filter for my fw which worked out perfect. At 11:30 I am DONE for today. Tomorrow I get the fun job of scooping out all those dead worms.
I would get that old canister out of there as soon as possible. Canisters require more work than other filters... You have to keep them clean, clean, clean otherwise you have problems with nitrates as gunk accumulates in the filter and breaks down.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, you have your work cut out for you. The smell is from the dead worms and fish and it will go away. You need to remove all of the worms if you can. Getting the water back in check is going to be a lot easier then moving the tank, so the hard part is over. It will just take some time. I would start doing some 20% water changes and running some fresh GAC to help clear some things up. You can also consider using Chemi-pure but that can be exspensive. Good luck and relax. Reserve yourself to the fact that there is no fast way to fix this. It will just take time.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Meredith,
I don't know if anyone answered your question about how to remove the worms. I would just scoop out as many as you can with a net, then use tongs or something. It's true you don't want to touch them. Also, did you get my pm yesterday? Good luck.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, we have multiple air fresheners going to mask the smell, and today I can actually see the rocks!!! Yes there is some visibility. I can just make out the back of the tank. The water is starting to clear. WOOOHOOO!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:33 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yay!! Almost time for new pics.

P.S. Your package is in the mail. :P
Old 04-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sound like your turning the corner. Change the carbon every couple of days until the smell is gone. Carbon can only absorb so much. What are your waters parameters?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com