Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

And so it begins...HELP

I got the new tank yesterday... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=49475

The three fish that went into the tank are now dead, and there is a CARPET of what I was told are bristle worms all over the bottom of the tank. How sting'n are these things? The lfs guy told me they usually give him a rash. How do I get these things out? And also, my house smells like low tide. I cant stand it. Is that because of the dead fish, or will it always smell this bad?

Old 04-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

here are some pics of the worms. I cant tell really but it looks like some are dead and some not. What a stink'n mess.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Test your water. Your tank is probably going through a cycle.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
The bristleworms are not a bad thing....the reason you are seeing them is because of the die off you are experiencing...and yes, that will mean a cycle again.

It is normal to have some die off when moving a tank. The additional "stress" of all fresh water may/may not be a contributing factor depending on how close it was in chemistry to the original water. Another factor would be the disturbance of the sand bed. At this point in time, I would leave the bristleworms alone as they will help clean up the dead micro critters.

Sorry this has been such a pain for you.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just think of how great its going to be when things settle down. 150 gallons Nice! what are you planning on putting in it.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, cleaning out all the fish, I noticed that the carpet of worms is a carpet of dead worms. I have to get them out of there. Also what about this smell???
Old 04-15-2005, 02:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

The dead fish and worms are the source of the smell so getting rid of them is your first step.
Have you tested water for ammonia? Carbon filter & Water change might help.
How's the weather in Washington? Because if all else fails opening a window will get rid of the smell. After the source is removed the smell won't get as bad.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am going to have a serious breakdown. I need to go get a test kit, all I have is FW. I am terrified to take apart this ancient filter because it took the lfs guy like an hour (or more) to get it started, and besides it doesn't seem to be moving much water. I am going to have to get new. I am almost regretting this whole thing. Oh and its raining and cold.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow. That's REALLY nasty! I've never seen so many worms (dead or alive)! I'd remove every last one you see (dead or alive). There will probably still be 100 when you're done by the looks of things!

It definitely kicked into cycle. I wouldn't put anymore fish into your system until the cycle has completed. Watch your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. When Ammo & Trite drop back down to 0 you're good to add a fish or two. The cloudy water is likely because of the ammonia/bacteria bloom. About mid-cycle you'll see a diatom bloom. After that you're in the home stretch.

Welcome to saltwater. Man that sounds like an ordeal to move the tank. Hopefully it will be well worth it in no time! Was there coral in there or just fish and rock?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

just fish and rock. Getting fish is the least of my concerns at the moment. I need to get some decent filtration going, and new heaters, and a test kit. I am sure my credit card company is going to call to make sure someone hasn't stolen my card.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com