Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
bluzepher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post
Not true at all just cause I'm not using a skimmer Water changes.
I want to make this tank self sufficient as possible
__________________

__________________
bluzepher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Greenstreet.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: long island,NY
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzepher1 View Post

I want to make this tank self sufficient as possible
My tank will be very happy I'm not worried.
__________________

__________________
Greenstreet.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
You dont need a skimmer or hob or sump for a sw tank. You who are saying this need to research the basics before giving advice. Wrong advice at that. Do some research and try and answer it again. A tank can be very healthy with only LR, good circulation, and water changes.


And why are y'all arguing on another members thread about your tanks? This is someone else's build thread.
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
bluzepher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 201
cool JW how often do you have to do water changes on a 40gal reef, corals, shrimp, 4 shrimp, clown fish x 2 an anemone, 40 lbs of live rock and live sand
__________________
bluzepher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Greenstreet.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: long island,NY
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
You dont need a skimmer or hob or sump for a sw tank. You who are saying this need to research the basics before giving advice. Wrong advice at that. Do some research and try and answer it again. A tank can be very healthy with only LR, good circulation, and water changes.

And why are y'all arguing on another members thread about your tanks? This is someone else's build thread.
Thank you. That is why I started a thread on the tank.
__________________
Greenstreet.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzepher1 View Post
cool JW how often do you have to do water changes on a 40gal reef, corals, shrimp, 4 shrimp, clown fish x 2 an anemone, 40 lbs of live rock and live sand
Where is your build thread? Still this is andrews thread sorry for being off topic andrew. With a 40 I would have a skimmer because its a bigger volume of water but still I would be checking all parameters daily if you dont have a skimmer, sump, or filter. Id go with a 25% WC if you dont have any of those but yes a 40g should have something to help out
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
aquandrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: waconia minnesota
Posts: 1,803
its okay lol i think I'm going to go with a skimmer anyway, so i can have the best quality of water and i don't have a sump so i don't want to do too large of water changes and stress the coral/fish. would it be worth it to do a 5.5 gallon sump?
__________________
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
its okay lol i think I'm going to go with a skimmer anyway, so i can have the best quality of water and i don't have a sump so i don't want to do too large of water changes and stress the coral/fish. would it be worth it to do a 5.5 gallon sump?
Is the tank drilled? Id just go with a skimmer honestly. A few people here would probably say just go with the skimmer on a 20g. You could go with a HOB refugium if you wanted the nitrate reducing benefits
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
aquandrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: waconia minnesota
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

Is the tank drilled? Id just go with a skimmer honestly. A few people here would probably say just go with the skimmer on a 20g. You could go with a HOB refugium if you wanted the nitrate reducing benefits
it is not drilled. if i were to do a sump, it would be with a hob overflow. what do you think of this hob refugium with a 30 gallon skimmer?
http://www.aquacave.com/Azoo-Hang-On...FQJqMgodaTYA5Q

http://www.vetdepot.com/internal-min...tml?shopping=1
then i would buy a pump for the refugium and put my heater in there too.
__________________
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post

it is not drilled. if i were to do a sump, it would be with a hob overflow. what do you think of this hob refugium with a 30 gallon skimmer?
http://www.aquacave.com/Azoo-Hang-On...FQJqMgodaTYA5Q

http://www.vetdepot.com/internal-min...tml?shopping=1
then i would buy a pump for the refugium and put my heater in there too.
I dont know much about skimmers but the hob refugium looks like an aquaclear. Id get and aquaclear and make a diy refugium to be honest
__________________

__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.