andrews 20 g reef transition build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might find the pink spotted gets too large for a 29g, the one I have in the 125g is almost 5 inches long I'd say.

full tank shot today after another water change and cleaning of diatoms.
img_2716038_0_223b146a8990950af45d2bd0e88ebd59.jpg

img_2716038_1_af444b0f035a2a2572fdc5c0e7043cdc.jpg

dang these feather dusters grow fast!!!
img_2716038_2_5db1a9d5e270fcc5f76c18058064785a.jpg

I'm considering ordering some bioluminescent brittle stars, i found a site that has them for 24.99 for 3-4 inch ones. don't you think it would be nuts to just touch the starfish, and it starts glowing??? i will likely have the 75 g running in a week or so then it will be fish ready about 6 weeks after that. i am seriously considering what to put in the 75. i have a list of candidates but what would you do?

Where did you find bioluminescent brittle stars for sale? I can't find them anywhere!!

Nice tank, btw. I'm following along. As far as your skimmer question, I'm partial to the reef octopus skimmers.

Where did you find bioluminescent brittle stars for sale? I can't find them anywhere!! Nice tank, btw. I'm following along. As far as your skimmer question, I'm partial to the reef octopus skimmers.

dang it i cant find the link right now, they had them labeled as green lantern brittle stars. yeah my total volume will be over 100 gallons so I'm looking for something rated 150-200. thank you :)

got a few zebra nerites yesterday and brought in the turbo snail before it starved lol. FINALLY picking up the 75 tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
img_2724657_0_511f3dc039fa8272dcb7252a9283419e.jpg

well my nephthea seems to be doing great and extending very well, but its' polyps don't spread like they did at first. the lfs that i frequent told me it is because i'm only giving them light and not phytoplankton like they were. could this be true?
img_2724657_1_51a0a8718273f4675047498cbaf76ac9.jpg

that is the first few days. should i be worried?

It looks healthy to me. Adding phyto will start to affect your water parameters so just consider that before adding it. remember, every single thing you add to the tank STAYS in the tank unless you remove it. Just as that rule is for pooping animals it also applies to foods you add. Water changes and a skimmer can remove stuff but thats pretty much the only way you will get stuff out. :)

awesome thanks carey, you answer all of my questions :) so could it be true that the phyto was causing its' polyps to extend more? i definitely won't add anything to my system, until it is the full system which will be about 150-175 gallons before water displacement

Feeding your corals CAN improve the look and health of them. But in my experience adding that stuff just fouls up my water and they can grow just fine without feeding. The only coral I fed with some regularity are my duncans, I shoot mysis and brine at the heads and they just close up and eat it, just like an anemone. Cool to watch, without a doubt.

okay cool i will not be feeding them any phyto then. so I've got another question... i found a small blue mushroom starting to grow on the sand and its about the size of a piece of corn maybe a little smaller. i moved the mushroom frag, so should i let this grow a little more than move it by the rest?

As long as he can get some light I would leave it be. It will most likely move at some point, thats what happens with mine. lol I've never had any luck glueing them or trying to get them to attach to a plug. So I just let mine roam free and now have mushrooms here and there in my tank. :)

can anyone id this? it looks like a snail, but has a clear little bush coming out of the opening. there are at least 50 of them all over my tank and i know for sure i am not over feeding.
img_2732560_0_928d30b1b636259a45cd9addb4a6f291.jpg

It's a spirorbid worm just a harmless filter feeder. They seem to feed on phytoplankton so large numbers of those are a good sign. I noticed a sharp decline in their numbers when I stopped supplementing my tank with daily phytoplankton doses.

It's a spirorbid worm just a harmless filter feeder. They seem to feed on phytoplankton so large numbers of those are a good sign. I noticed a sharp decline in their numbers when I stopped supplementing my tank with daily phytoplankton doses.

awesome thanks mebbid! I've never fed phyto so i wonder why they showed up over the past few days. the only thing I've done done different, is add an HOB to put on the qt in a week or two when i get another fish

from the live rock? i think i only added 8 lbs of premium live rock, but it was full of life. that was about two months ago maybe more.

Back
Top Bottom