Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #171
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE="Greenstreet.1;2690836"] When I first started in 07 I had one was one off the worst buy I ever made did not skim good at all so I would say no way on it but it maybe good to someone else so let's see what the others say.[/QUOTE

hmmm. yeah the reviews are pretty mixed of either really good or it doesn't skim well and creates micro bubbles. do you have any experience with buying a used skimmer? i found the one carey suggested, the hydor slim skim, on craigslist in my area for 50 bucks but don't really know what to look for on a used skimmer. if not i might just have to wait til next week to order one because they are 140 dollars and i don't have enough til payday

Old 10-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #172
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I run the RO SSS 1000 on my 75g on my 20 I don't run a skimmer. But I will say this when looking for a good skimmer the pump is the main thing make sure it has a good pump and make sure it's rated for more than your setup.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Have you checked out that used slim skim for $50? If it turns on and doesnt make a huge racket then it works. lol Just be sure it looks clean and well maintained. As long as the pump is working you should be fine.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #174
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Have you checked out that used slim skim for $50? If it turns on and doesnt make a huge racket then it works. lol Just be sure it looks clean and well maintained. As long as the pump is working you should be fine.
i have not yet but i emailed them and asked if they could do it on monday, so hopefully they will still have it. dang working 12 hour days i love scream town but i already want it to be over lol. if that falls through then on payday i will just order it new. man i have diatoms so bad!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #175
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You might check around too, I know marinedepot had the slim skim for $80 recently and so did drs foster and smith. If I didnt have so much going on tank wise i would have picked one up then. lol
Old 10-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #176
Aquarium Advice Addict

has anyone here kept a florida keys bioluminescent brittle star? i found a site that has them for 24.99 and I'm really digging that they glow all night if you touch them. sorry i haven't had any updates, I've been really stressed about my grandpa passing away last week. :/
Old 10-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #177
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have not kept one of these bioluminescent brittle stars but have heard good things about them. Firstly they are reef safe which is a biggy for you and an awesome thing is that you can hand feed them which is cool I don't know if they actually generate their own light or they are florecent and lit up by uv light. By their name it sounds like they make their own light
They do look pretty awsome though.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #178
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccobacci11 View Post
I have not kept one of these bioluminescent brittle stars but have heard good things about them. Firstly they are reef safe which is a biggy for you and an awesome thing is that you can hand feed them which is cool I don't know if they actually generate their own light or they are florecent and lit up by uv light. By their name it sounds like they make their own light They do look pretty awsome though.
they are bioluminescent which means they do make their own light, but you have to touch them once for them to start lighting up because its a defense mechanism. i already have one banded brittle star that came on the 8 lbs of "premium live rock" that i bought and miraculously survives me dosing to 4ppm ammonia for about 4 weeks. i even rinsed and scrubbed the rocks a little bit in tank water before i transferred it to the 29 and it still found its way it was grey when i found it but now it has distinct stripes
Old 10-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #179
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thats awesome how they make their own light.
that is crazy how it survived what you do.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #180
Aquarium Advice Freak

cant wait for further updates.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com