andrews 20 g reef transition build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So you want 2 types of clown fish??? In a 20gallon??? It won't happen, I think it's gonna be a war soon as they get comfy

really? because i read that since they are both ocellaris clowns it would be best to introduce them at the same time and they almost always pair up. i know mixing different species, you can't do unless you have a very large tank. those are both color variations of the same species. from what i've read if you get one slightly smaller than the other, and introduce them at the same time it almost always works out

I like your rock work, BUT you might wanna make sure that water can flow through the structure. If not you will get stuff stuck in there and it will rot and can cause parameter flucuations.

I have an engineer goby btw, and I know you didnt mean eel but he is an awesome fish. Mine started about an inch long and is now well over a foot. He pokes his head out and digs and is oh so cool. lol His name is teddy bear, cause he has such a sweet adorable teddy bear face. ! LOL

I think mixing clowns would depend on which clowns you have in mind. i wouldnt mix a percula with an oscellaris or a gold banded with a skunk clown. Just depends on the combination.

yeah i really like engineer gobies too, but 20 is much too small. I'm considering getting one when i set up my 75 would it be compatible with a yellow eye kole tang? the clowns i want to mix, are both ocellaris. the main reason i want them, is because eventually i hope to try breeding saltwater and ocellaris are said to be the easiest fish to breed. the two i want are snowflake ocellaris and black ocellaris and when they breed you get black ice clownfish

really? because i read that since they are both ocellaris clowns it would be best to introduce them at the same time and they almost always pair up. i know mixing different species, you can't do unless you have a very large tank. those are both color variations of the same species. from what i've read if you get one slightly smaller than the other, and introduce them at the same time it almost always works out

Ya I've had a true percula and the false killed him in about a month of being together? May have been bad luck but I now hes was a male??

I have my engineer goby in my 90g aggressive tank and he's fine. He doesnt come out all the way hardly ever so he takes up very little space and I think his size puts off the other nasty fish in there so he is left alone. He never misses a meal I can say that much! lol

I would have 2 powerheads in a 20g if it were me....But I tend to have 2 in every tank no matter how big or small lol. You want a solid structure of rock but you also want some water flow in there as well and caves for the fishies and other critters.

I have my engineer goby in my 90g aggressive tank and he's fine. He doesnt come out all the way hardly ever so he takes up very little space and I think his size puts off the other nasty fish in there so he is left alone. He never misses a meal I can say that much! lol

I would have 2 powerheads in a 20g if it were me....But I tend to have 2 in every tank no matter how big or small lol. You want a solid structure of rock but you also want some water flow in there as well and caves for the fishies and other critters.

okay would 670 gph be overkill? because the powerhead i got for my qt is on sale for 9 bucks and its normally 30 its 175 gph i could go get another, if they aren't sold out by now. lol my sister got 3 of them, but i didn't have enough money on me to get more

if you are wanting corals then more flow=good. lol In my experience you can never have too much flow. :) You want NO dead spots whatsoever in the tank including the rock area. A neat trick I use is to add some purple up and watch how it flows. Since the purple up is miky colored you can see exactly where the water is flowing. :)

Put it this way, the more turbulent flow you have, meaning everywhere with out stuff flying every where, that is the best to keep your water parameters in check and water very clean. Something's (soft coral, anemones some of them) dont like that kind of flow. It's all up to you and you "ocean" inhabitants :)

okay i put a 100 gph filter and 175 gph powerhead on my qt tank. when the clowns are done with qt the powerhead will go in my DT. i didn't end up getting a snowflake, but just a regular ocellaris and black ocellaris.
img_2651658_0_ae09b8445336d0e326c06322336a662d.jpg

img_2651658_1_3e32bf493f7651c6db9f017bf695dc63.jpg

A couple 1.5" to 2" PVC elbows and/or a short length of PVC pipe would be appreciated by the clowns. A place to hide out at night.

Back
Top Bottom