Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D.Schneidt

Aquarium Advice Regular
My anemone was looking great one hour ago and then as soon as my lights went on this happened? I have had it for about a week now. Why did this happen? Is it dead?

Ah sorry I forgot to add one

Attachments

• image-2458602969.jpg
    image-2458602969.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 125
How long have you had it? Agree your tank looks new - how long has it been set up? What kind of lighting are you running? My nems close at night...

How long have you had it? Agree your tank looks new - how long has it been set up? What kind of lighting are you running? My nems close at night...

It's been up for about two months and I'm running two 120w Taotronics. It happened as soon as my lights kicked on but, it looks like its coming back now.

How long have you had the nem? Your lighting is good for nems but if its new to the tank and you didn't acclimate it properly that could be why it's upset. Is this your first salt water tank? I hope you had done your research in keeping this creature :)

It's perfectly normal for them to contract and expand. If it is dying it will look like it is falling apart or melting, and generally lose a lot of color.

How long have you had the nem? Your lighting is good for nems but if its new to the tank and you didn't acclimate it properly that could be why it's upset. Is this your first salt water tank? I hope you had done your research in keeping this creature :)

This is my my first saltwater tank but I do plenty of research and why would it do it almost a week after I put it in the tank?

It's perfectly normal for them to contract and expand. If it is dying it will look like it is falling apart or melting, and generally lose a lot of color.

Ah ok that's good to know. Yeah it's definitely not dead then.

Nems can surprisingly put up with a lot before they show symptoms. Yours actually doesn't look that bad, keep and eye on it (its a condy right?) I am sure you know that they cannot tolerate swings in parameters (hence why they are not recommended for new tanks) so as long as you keep your water in check it will do fine.

Those Tao's are pretty bright. I have Rose bubble tips that do very well under them at 100% but Long tentacle anemones don't seem to like the intensity. I have them under one with blues at around 80% and whites all the way down as low as they go. If I turn them up any higher, they duck and run for cover.
I tried slowly ramping up the power over a period of about a month and they still did not respond well.
Just food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom