Anemone befriending anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matman

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long does this process take? I just got an anemone, and i was wondering how long it will take if one of the clowns is going to use it as a home? I realize its unpredictable probably, but just in case anyone has personal experience...

Anywhere from immediately (which doesn't seem to be the case here), to a few months or possibley never. Having a natural match will improve the odds immensely but it's not a forgone conclusion it won't happen if they aren't.

What species of anemone did you add?

Cheers
Steve

Don't know if you are still interested in responses.

My clowns moved into my Bubble Tipped Anenome within 22 hours. (I think this is possibly a one off as everyone I have spoken to has been pretty shocked).
Prior to that they were hosting with a large leather coral which took about 3 weeks for them to notice. Before that they had a tiny piece of leather that they would sometimes rub themselves against whilst claiming that general area in the tank as theirs.

If you are tempted to get an anenome specifically for your clowns I would try getting them to host with less expensive and hardier coral and then if they host with this try an anenome.

Another thing I ought to point out is that my BTA sometimes disappears and reappears and moves slightly which confuses my clowns so they move between the leather and BTA as it suits them. (Not sure whether my clowns are wild or tank bred either - I bought my tank and livestock from someone who was moving out of the country - this might also be a factor in them hosting so readily).

Not sure if I've been helpful at all really - just be prepared for a long wait.

Lis x

Should have mentioned. My clowns COMPLETELY ignored the leather and BTA when they were first introduced. Carried on as if nothing had been added, almost as if they didn't exist. Most of my fish/invertebrates will investigate a new arrival but not my clowns they don't even look in it's direction. They then suddenly moved in within the space of about 30 minutes.
Very wierd ... good luck

Back
Top Bottom