Anemone Committed powerhead suicide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I woke up very exited today to see my rose had finally split after about 6 months in my tank. I just did a w/c last night and mixed my own salt for the first time. I was watching the other rose move to a New location for about an hr. I took my eyes away for 10 minutes came back and it disapeered, I started searching and could not find it. I noticed my water looking a bit hazy so I started to clean my glass. Then I heard my powerhead acting funny so I started looking only right when I noticed the rose on the powerhead I heard a quick woodchipper like sound and my rose was floating in 1 million peases all over my tank :(. I have a 60 gal system how big of a w/c do I need to do?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do as large of a water change as you possibly can to get all of that out of your system. I'd even aim for 50%.
Your parameters were ok before all of this? Though people have talked about it I've never seen a healthy anemone split before and really believe that they only due it from stress when they are trying to keep their gene pool alive.

A natural split of the anemone is literally when a rose bubble tip anemone pulls its body in two different directions and rips itself in half.* For years now there has been debate on what makes this happen and why it happens.* Is it because the anemone is healthy and feels it’s a good time to propagate or is it that the anemone is stressed and this is a defense mechanism hoping that two have a better chance to survive that one?* I have had anemones split like this with no rhyme or reason.** The safest thing I have read that an aquarist can try to force a natural split is doing a large water change.* I have read several people comment their anemone has split right after this. Since a water change is a good thing anyways then why not give it a shot if having your anemone split naturally is your goal.

I dug this up.

I have been having issues with dinoflagelets and decided to make my own ro/di and salt water for my system. I found my lfs to have a small amounts of tds in there ro/di. Last night was my first water change with my New ro/di system and this morning I had 2 nems. I'm bummed the one that died I had for a long time. I still haven changed the water yet I'm making a batch right now 10 gal is all I can make so that's all I can do. Do you guys thing I should let my salt mix overnight or try to get this water change done immediately?

So the anemone splitting and the coral being overrun by this Brie hair algae are signs of a healthy reef then?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No you didn't read the whole post... Id like to think if my testing comes back zero all the time! The algae could be eating up excess phosphates, nitrates. I'm not arguing with you I'm just telling you what I'm reading and what is happening. I appreciate any help. You seem to be a little mad calm down yoda I'm not attempting to battle you I'm sure you have a lot more experience so don't be offended I'm just trying to get help so I can expand my knowledge. I can't make this happen over night I have been taking baby steps. I believe you may have been the one who advised me to cut feeding down, I did! I also bought a carbon and gfo reactor, I also added a second power head, I also cut my lighting down! These are things I've done over a long duration attempting to pinpoint my algae issue. I know it was worse because I had cyano and that is now completely eradicated. I feel my lfs had to much tds in there ro/di and salt mix so I have taken steps to resolve this. What posted was a copy of something I read and dose explain there is a debate on the reasoning behind the split so still yes you may be correct I don't really know I test 0 phos 0 nitrate? I don't know?

Back
Top Bottom