Anemone crisis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mr_X said:
Well, you will know in 5 minutes if you put your hand in front of your power head like I told you to.
I've had more than one tank, and I've used different combinations in each, and I'm telling you that you don't need a wave maker to keep a successful reef.
Saying something is definitely not going to work without trying it or having any data to support it is a definitely not a good practice.

Didn't say it definitely wouldn't work, just said a wavemaker would be better.

So you have a 55g, when deciding what powerheads to get you need to look ahead. What kind of coral to want to keep? For LPS you want approx. 20x the tank volume in total flow for sps you want 30x. That means to keep LPS you want a total combined flow of about 1100 gph and for sps you want 1600gph. Adding more flow isn't bad either you just need to try to keep it moving water and not blasting the daylights out of your corals. I also have a 55g and I run 2x 1050 gph and 1x 1400 gph. I use a wave maker and have a minimum flow of 1050 gph at any given time and my 1400 kicks in on every other cycle of the wave maker so when that's on I have 2450 gph flowing. I have softies LPS and sps and find this creates a nice random flow in the tank and circulates things well. I chose koralia evolution powerheads as they look decent unlike Maxijets, have a magnetic suction cup to hold them in place unlike Maxijets and they weren't terribly expensive. I also run a natural wave maker and yes it's a glorified power strip but it works really well and is easy to use. I'm a big fan of keep it simple and that fits the bill. Whether you want a wave maker is your personal choice, do you need one- no but they are nice to have and create a nice flow. Also for the record my evolutions have been running awesome on my wave maker and the only noise I hear is the relays in the wave maker clicking, maxi jets on the other hand I have found very noisy especially on startup- they grind like a mother. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help everybody. I got two koralia evolutions 1050 power heads. Theyll come in about a week or so. I got them online super cheap half the price of my LFS. I'm looking for a wave maker but the one I found cost to much.. A pic of my anemone by the way it's been doing good and I got new lights!

Attachments

• image-2337016232.jpg
    image-2337016232.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom