Anemone help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlehring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a friend give me this anemone on Sunday. I think it looks horrible, I need some suggestions and information. Water parameters checked good when I had them tested. Salinity was is on the high side 1.026. I know they wander for a couple weeks and then settle in but if you look at the 3rd picture he looks like he is planting his foot.
Thoughts on it please and suggestions!!! :)

Attachments

• image-1042676392.jpg
    image-1042676392.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2214715315.jpg
    image-2214715315.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3862132995.jpg
    image-3862132995.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 110
it actually looks like it start melting, I would keep really close eye to it. When Anemone can see thru from the mouth and all the inside "guts" are inside out. It is a sight of the end of its life span. Best wish to you but make sure watch any sight of clear melting, once it happen , you have to remove it

I'd remove that. It will deft mess up your system. I doubt it will recover at all.

Thanks for the advice! Outside of age is there anything else that could cause this?

This was given to you? If it wasn't properly removed from its previous home, it may have damage to its foot. That WILL cause melting.
Low lighting will cause an anemone to reabsorb it's own tissue and shrink. An anemone is capable of starving for months before dieing. Heat, shock, or physical damage are likely culprits here.
Keep a close eye on it, they can recover from a lot, but I agree with the previous posters that it doesn't look good.

I have 2 65 watt 10kk daylight 2 65 watt actinic coralife system with 4 moon light LEDs. It's a 55 gallon tank. Is that enough? I have always heard about 3 watts per gallon. And with the sand and live rock I actually only have 45 gallons of water.

I have 2 65 watt 10kk daylight 2 65 watt actinic coralife system with 4 moon light LEDs. It's a 55 gallon tank. Is that enough? I have always heard about 3 watts per gallon. And with the sand and live rock I actually only have 45 gallons of water.

The watts per gallon standard is a very old rule of thumb that is not accurate. It all depends on what kind lighting. 3 watts per gallon would only be acceptable for LED's. what kind of lights are you running and how long is your tank? Sounds like you have enough light unless you are running power compact bulbs on a tall tank. The wattage ratings run high on PC bulbs and are really deceiving as they are not as intense as T5s, MH, and LEDs, which is why the watts per gallon rule is not accurate.

The basis for the watts per gallon rule had to do with penetration. If we assume (don't, btw. Lol) that all lights were to put out the same spectrum of light, then wattage could be used to determine how deeply the usable light would penetrate. Since tank sizes are relatively standard, one could reasonably estimate how many watts per gallon.
But there are far more lighting options today than there were when these guidelines were created. The only way to really be sure is to buy or borrow a PAR meter and check light levels at various points in the tank.
Beyond that, there are numerous threads discussing the best lighting options for different tank sizes. How deep is your tank?

Back
Top Bottom