Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

No they eat fish and get gigantic. I'd get a rose bubble tip, they are generally the hardiest

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff.rice View Post
I'm thinking I may take this guy back and try to trade for another then, because I can't really afford a new light fixture right now...... What type of nem would work well in this light?!?! I also like the carpet anemones..... Would those work any better?

Eh, we'll I'd wait until you got a better lights. Maybe a condy would work though.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmmm..... Ok thanx everybody for the help! Now I've got to figure out what to do
Old 03-25-2014, 01:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your current budget? Maybe upgrade to a 120 watt dimmable led panel from eBay? That would be more than enough light. Not sure on footprint of a 55 though.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
On a 55 you would need 2 led pods as they are typically 4' long. A good indication your lighting isn't enough is the fact your brain (which looks awesome btw) is up on rock and happy. Typically you want them on the sand as they are a lower light LPS coral. Once you have sufficient light for an anemone you will the brain on the sand and need to acclimate it to the new lights especially if you go led. LEDs don't look as bright as t5 but they are much more powerful and can easily burn coral.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
On a 55 you would need 2 led pods as they are typically 4' long. A good indication your lighting isn't enough is the fact your brain (which looks awesome btw) is up on rock and happy. Typically you want them on the sand as they are a lower light LPS coral. Once you have sufficient light for an anemone you will the brain on the sand and need to acclimate it to the new lights especially if you go led. LEDs don't look as bright as t5 but they are much more powerful and can easily burn coral.

That's really true. Except I think LEDS appear to be brighter then T5.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #17
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
That's really true. Except I think LEDS appear to be brighter then T5.
LEDs aren't 'brighter', they just penetrate water better than bulbed units do. In terms of strength, they have a scale just like bulbed units do...that's why we roughly look for between 2-3 watts per diode for coral that require high intensity lighting and why the Marineland 'reef' LED unit isn't exactly reef lighting...though some low light softies can be supported.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
LEDs aren't 'brighter', they just penetrate water better than bulbed units do. In terms of strength, they have a scale just like bulbed units do...that's why we roughly look for between 2-3 watts per diode for coral that require high intensity lighting and why the Marineland 'reef' LED unit isn't exactly reef lighting...though some low light softies can be supported.

Right, that's why I said they appear brighter, not they are. There are a lot of factors going into a fixture for it to be able to support photosynthetic creatures. The brightness according to the human eye really isn't one of them.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was looking at the led pods...... Eventually I will be able to afford it so maybe I'll hold off until I can manage that! I thought the brain needed good light..... That's good to know....... Thanx for every bodies input!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem, be very careful of that anemone. Would hate to see your tank get nuked.

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com