Anemone help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ff.rice

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok..... I have had this guy for about 3 weeks now and it just will not settle. I've tried placing it and it moves..... For the last week or do I have just let it go where it wants and it just won't stick and find it's happy spot..... Any suggestions to make this guy happy?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395703497.586210.jpg

What is your lighting and how established is the tank. Nems need good strong lighting and do much better in tanks that have been up and running for several months. If it's moving around, it's trying to find a good spot. It's not going to stay where you place it.

My tank has been going for about 10-12 months and has for the most part matured..... I moved it from a 29 gallon tank to a 55 using ALL of the stuff from the tank. I had a nem in the 29 that was doing very well, but during the move a piece of salt creep fell off of the top of the tank and landed directly on it (it didn't make it). This new one seems to be healthy and likes the water and light but just won't find a home! And for lighting I'm using T5 HO which is the same type of light I used in my 29 gallon tank.

It's a 4 bulb fixture and it seems to be enough light for everything else.... I have a brain coral that is doing well.... I think it's just still looking for a good spot.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395707128.451288.jpg

I'm thinking I may take this guy back and try to trade for another then, because I can't really afford a new light fixture right now...... What type of nem would work well in this light?!?! I also like the carpet anemones..... Would those work any better?

No they eat fish and get gigantic. I'd get a rose bubble tip, they are generally the hardiest

I'm thinking I may take this guy back and try to trade for another then, because I can't really afford a new light fixture right now...... What type of nem would work well in this light?!?! I also like the carpet anemones..... Would those work any better?

Eh, we'll I'd wait until you got a better lights. Maybe a condy would work though.

What is your current budget? Maybe upgrade to a 120 watt dimmable led panel from eBay? That would be more than enough light. Not sure on footprint of a 55 though.

On a 55 you would need 2 led pods as they are typically 4' long. A good indication your lighting isn't enough is the fact your brain (which looks awesome btw) is up on rock and happy. Typically you want them on the sand as they are a lower light LPS coral. Once you have sufficient light for an anemone you will the brain on the sand and need to acclimate it to the new lights especially if you go led. LEDs don't look as bright as t5 but they are much more powerful and can easily burn coral.

On a 55 you would need 2 led pods as they are typically 4' long. A good indication your lighting isn't enough is the fact your brain (which looks awesome btw) is up on rock and happy. Typically you want them on the sand as they are a lower light LPS coral. Once you have sufficient light for an anemone you will the brain on the sand and need to acclimate it to the new lights especially if you go led. LEDs don't look as bright as t5 but they are much more powerful and can easily burn coral.

That's really true. Except I think LEDS appear to be brighter then T5.

That's really true. Except I think LEDS appear to be brighter then T5.

LEDs aren't 'brighter', they just penetrate water better than bulbed units do. In terms of strength, they have a scale just like bulbed units do...that's why we roughly look for between 2-3 watts per diode for coral that require high intensity lighting and why the Marineland 'reef' LED unit isn't exactly reef lighting...though some low light softies can be supported.

LEDs aren't 'brighter', they just penetrate water better than bulbed units do. In terms of strength, they have a scale just like bulbed units do...that's why we roughly look for between 2-3 watts per diode for coral that require high intensity lighting and why the Marineland 'reef' LED unit isn't exactly reef lighting...though some low light softies can be supported.

Right, that's why I said they appear brighter, not they are. There are a lot of factors going into a fixture for it to be able to support photosynthetic creatures. The brightness according to the human eye really isn't one of them.

I was looking at the led pods...... Eventually I will be able to afford it so maybe I'll hold off until I can manage that! I thought the brain needed good light..... That's good to know....... Thanx for every bodies input!

Back
Top Bottom