Anemone Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gozetec02

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to keep a species of anemone. Maybe a bulb anemone. What kind of lighting do i need. I have a 24" full spectrum light made by All-glass. I don't know how many Kelvins it is. There are so many bulbs out there and such a huge selection I get lost at the displays. I hear about 7,000k and 10,000k. My tank is only 12" deep and the highest point of the live rock is maybe 5" from the surface.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a bulb tip with only one 65 watt power compact 50/50 bulb. Half 10000K, half blue actinic. I have a 29 gal tank that is 18in. tall. My anenome stays at the bottom and is doing very well. Still pissed off after I moved back in sept. but doing well. Hopefully when I get the tank moved so it doesn't get all the direct sunlight it is getting now he will be happy again. Hope this helps.

you should be able to keep some species of anemone including a bulb... but you should feed it more often and use the lights for a couple more hours each day

My lights are on a 12 hour cycle. Should they really be at a 14 or 15 hour light cycle. What do anemones eat anyway. I know they need to be fed pieces of fish and shrimp.

gozetec02 said:
I have a 24" full spectrum light made by All-glass. I don't know how many Kelvins it is.

Is this a PC bulb or a NO bulb? If it's an NO bulb, then I think you'll have to upgrade it to keep an anemone. If it's a PC, it might be enough. Anemones are not easy to keep and most of them need lots of light. It's usually recommended to wait until the tank is at least a year old before adding one. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom