Anemone or ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeeamer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 100lt saltwater aquarium the I am slowly building and I have a pair if black clowns. Of course Id love an anemone in the aquarium for the clowns but I feel the tank is too small and it may kill other corals that I put in later. I know clowns will host almost anything but in your opinion what is the best coral alternative to anemones?

Well I read that anemone are hard to care for and don't really last that long in any size tank

Some anemones are very difficult to care for. But a few things that will improve the odds:
WAIT. An older tank is usually a more stable tank. Anemones do not tolerate fluctuating water parameters well.
Choose a hardy species, such as green bubble tip.
Pick a healthy specimen. People tank about green, or rose BTA. Never ever buy a white one! Also, avoid any that look stringy or pinched in the store. If it is on a rock, buy the rock. Don't try pulling it off. Any damage to the foot is usually fatal.

Where did you read that they usually die in any sized tank? That's false. Anemones are a fragile and picky invert, and require special needs, but if you have good water quality and sufficient light it will do fine. Clowns will sometimes host some lps corals, but some studies have shown that hosting the coral over a long time causes damage to the coral, so, if you can, and want your clowns to host something (not a powerhead, wall, or rock lol) , shoot for an anemone if your tank can sustain one. Best of luck to you!

crister13 said:
Where did you read that they usually die in any sized tank? That's false. Anemones are a fragile and picky invert, and require special needs, but if you have good water quality and sufficient light it will do fine. Clowns will sometimes host some lps corals, but some studies have shown that hosting the coral over a long time causes damage to the coral, so, if you can, and want your clowns to host something (not a powerhead, wall, or rock lol) , shoot for an anemone if your tank can sustain one. Best of luck to you!

Yes, David Saxby once said a marine aquarist doesn't keep fish, they keep water. If the water quality is good, animals will love to live in it.

This is the moto I try to live by. My water is fairly consistent and I am happy an anemone would live happily. Ive read about clowns not needing anemones, 1 article is here:

http://www.saltcorner.com/Articles/Showarticle.php?articleID=80

However, I'd prefer to have one! The main issue I have is once an anemone is settled I don't want them to move and kill other corals! I know they roam to find a home but do they move a lot after this?

As long as it has found a place where it likes the amount of light and flow that it is getting, it will basically stay there.
The statement that they don't last long in aquariums, is false. I've had a Sebae for over 7 years in 2 different tanks, and it is happy and healthy. Like you already stated, if your water is good and stable, it will do just fine. Mine has moved less than 6", in 2 years (from last upgrade).
I feed it 1 small (about an inch) silverside every 10-14 days, and it is huge, so this is not too much food. I feel if it has a mouth, it should be fed, every so often. Many don't feed, and that is fine, but I've had good luck doing it this way and don't care to change now.

Flreefer said:
As long as it has found a place where it likes the amount of light and flow that it is getting, it will basically stay there.
The statement that they don't last long in aquariums, is false. I've had a Sebae for over 7 years in 2 different tanks, and it is happy and healthy. Like you already stated, if your water is good and stable, it will do just fine. Mine has moved less than 6", in 2 years (from last upgrade).
I feed it 1 small (about an inch) silverside every 10-14 days, and it is huge, so this is not too much food. I feel if it has a mouth, it should be fed, every so often. Many don't feed, and that is fine, but I've had good luck doing it this way and don't care to change now.

I agree with feeding. If its kept fed it will be less likely to damage other life in tank. My tank has only been going a few months but I don't have many corals and I'd rather get the anemone in, let it roam and settle before I look at other corals. I think a lot of people mix the words "difficult" with "impossible". Anemones are more difficult to keep but that's what makes them so interesting.

Back
Top Bottom