Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Anemone questions

After reading several post recently about anemones, I have been considering adding one to my tank. I know very little about them. I have searched the web for info, but I wanted to hear from people with some practical experience.

What are the pros and cons of keeping an anemone in a reef tank?

2 clowns - 1 damsels - 1 royal gramma - 1 coral banded shrimp - 1 cleaner shimp - 1 emerald crabs - assortment of snails and hermits - sandsifting star - orange starfish - 1 hammer - 1 bubble - 1 toadstool - 1 small colony of zoos
SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It seems that most people that start a SW tank are captified by the anemone/clown symbiotic relationship. This makes them very popular. There is nothing wrong with keeping an anemone if you reserch first and provide it with the proper husbandry. First off, consider your tank in general. They require very stable tanks with pristene water conditions. The tank should be well established of close to a year. Next, decide on a species. Looking into captive raised BTA is a good choice. Make sure you have a large enough tank and enough light for the type of anemone you want. Lighting IS the single-most important factor as they rely heavily on it for energy. This is all general info, once you decide on a speices we can help more.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks lando,

My tank is currently 75 gallon with plans to upgrade to a 120 gallon within the next year or so (maybe sooner if I win my fantasy football league again). My tank will be a year in August. I started adding corals in March. Water quality is good but about to get better. I just ordered an RO/DI unit off ebay.

Are they a danger to any of the other fish, coral, or inverts?

Is 75 gallons large enough for an anemone?

Is my current lighting sufficient?

Also, what is a BTA?
2 clowns - 1 damsels - 1 royal gramma - 1 coral banded shrimp - 1 cleaner shimp - 1 emerald crabs - assortment of snails and hermits - sandsifting star - orange starfish - 1 hammer - 1 bubble - 1 toadstool - 1 small colony of zoos
Old 06-09-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Are they a danger to any of the other fish, coral, or inverts?
Some anemones will eat livestock if it is sick or injured. They pose no threat to healthy stuff.
Quote:
Is 75 gallons large enough for an anemone?
Yes
Quote:
Is my current lighting sufficient?
It depends on the speices.
Quote:
Also, what is a BTA?
Sorry, it is a bulb or bubble tipped anemone. Fairly easy to keep and a lower-light demanding species. They split in captivity so geting a captive raised one is pretty easy. They tend to be hardier, acclimate better and are not harvasted from the wild.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its my understanding that any anemone can sting other corals that get too close to it. Anemone's will also 'walk' around the tank until they find a spot they want to live in...but any shift in water currents could cause it to move again.

A BTA is going to be the easiest to keep, as it doesn't require insanely high lighting, and is fairly hardy. It also doesn't get huge (like a Condy or carpet anemone)...but it may split, giving you two healthy anemones. (doh! I see Lando already mentioned that)

You have enough lighting for a BTA or rose BTA for sure.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
I would add the BTA before you have a ton of corals in your tank. They're selective about where they want to sit, and will detach their foot from the rock and move around. It's better to have a tank with a few corals, so the BTA can find a place it likes without stinging. If your water quality is good, then go for it.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I'm keeping a general carpet anemone alive without manually feeding it under my lighting -- anyone can keep a BTA alive.

Granted my water quality couldn't be more pristine... :P
Old 06-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Will a BTA host clowns?

Once it becomes established is it ok to add more coral?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

My tank is only 4 months old but i am VERY anal about my water quality and water parameters. I check SG every day, test the water for everything twice a week. Clean off all salt creap etc..

My Rose and Atlantic BTA are doing fantastic. It took the rose about a week before it found its spot, and a feeding of krill before it was very happy. Everything looks great now

Good luck on your decision, i think they are awesome.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
BTA hosts clowns. I have a Rose BTA, I put it in my tank & in 12 hours my Maroon Clown refuses to come out of it. Oce the BTA has settled down, yes its fine to add corals. You could really add them before the BTA if you wanted to, but it's risky.

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com